1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Broken Belt!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Richard R, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Was overtaking a car and changing up a gear when lost power, then noticed the oil light on, pulled up and noticed what looked like cotton on the engine... Then noticed threads coming out of the belt cover.... F#@king HELL.... Very disappointed as they were done at a maindealer in March 2017 750 miles ago....rang a few times asking for the service manager, and emailed him politely asking if they wanted to investigate and have a look since they havent been on that long, and that I work in the motor trade, and would like to know if this happened to a car one of my techs had worked on. ..... Still awaiting a reply (a week now).

• WTF WTF x 1
  2. Not good. Have you opened and had a look?

I'd check the tensioner has been rotated the correct way.

I'd be on the phone daily too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. As above, have you had the cover off for a look? If it broke, your bike would be in bits...maybe something has got in there, caused an obstruction and split the belt? Could be lucky escape.

4. "Oil light and loss of power" though o_O

5. Yeah good point. Any mechanical noise??? Finger crossed there wasn't.

6. You’ve been waiting a WEEK for a response ?!???!

Either your email has been over looked (benefit of the doubt) or this is the worst dealer behaviour I think I’ve ever heard of ... either way I’d be following up.

Let us know what happens. Best of luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Not taken anything off yet, I wanted to chat about it first before "tampering with the evidence" before I realised that had happened, I tried to start it again, and the engine turned over ok without any funny noises. I've been particularly busy at work, and just competed on a house purchase, so not been able to ring every day. Hopefully their reputation will be important to them, and they will help out, although if that were the case, surely I would have had a response.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Liked as its sounds like something else may have triggered the light. Or you are luckiest ducati owner of 2018.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Most so called belt failures are not belt failures but mechanic error or other issues - seizures caused by mechanical malfunction.
    You need to take the covers off or be there when the dealer does and take pictures for evidence.
    CCW Exact Fit belts haven't had a 'belt failure' attributed to the belts in the 9 years of suppling.
    Main dealer fitment of OEM belts are supposed to be warranted for all engine damage so good luck, you should be ok :):upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. No, it sounded and felt as though I'd run out of fuel. House purchase completed this afternoon, day off tomorrow so will be ringing a few times to get it sorted. If it is serious, and the offwr to pay the labour, could still be a grands worth of parts!!! At least it's only one cylinder unlike a car!... I've kind of come to terms with it, and even if it costs a a load, its still cheaper than a 1199...and much better (IMHO;))

• Like Like x 1
  11. .... Also, sat waiting at the side of the road, I though "at least I'm not in a ditch bottom" and started laughing.. It's only money.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes I've seen your website and impressed with your belts... Will be looking into those...Would the Ducati parts warranty only be for a year? Also meant to get in touch ages ago... I'm only up in Sheriff Hutton... We ought to meet up in Helmsley some time....I'll meet you there in the car :joy:

13. Picture attached

DSC_1789.JPG

14. It should be for the service life of the belts as I understand, see what the dealer says - is it Ducati Leeds? Ask for a loan bike then you don't need the car o_O:upyeah:

15. Hi mate and wish you all the best of luck.
    Hope that isn’t a crack in the casing, just above the Allen bolt.

Ian

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. No NOT LEEDS...I don't feel comfortable naming and shaming untill I've had a response from them... If its a good response, people would like to know they can take their bike there and feel safe that if the worst happens the dealer will take responsibility. If they tell me "tough luck" then surely forum members need to know what could happen if they take bikes to that workshop.... Will keep you all updated.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Entirely unrealistic on both counts.

Belt snaps, it will be some other issue that caused it; always will be to stop any consequential claim. Plus maximum warranty period will be 12m. Be interested to know if your warranty would cover for service life (5 yrs on a multi) and consequential loss if one breaks? (not a dig, genuine enquiry)

Loan bike, why? They haven't done nothing wrong....see answer one ;)

18. Stick in a van and get it there and wait for them to have a look and take your receipt with you, good luck.

19. I am quite interested in the actual Ducati stance as even some independents quote this supposed Ducati OEM belt guarantee when they may be safer using CCW belts :thinkingface: - when Chris launched the belts in the states he warranted any engine due to a snapped belt - he had to do so to gain confidence in the market I guess. He had some issues with engine failure breaking belts which are documented on the internet and the outcome agreed no fault of belts by the evidence / owner and tech. He no longer offers this as you can imagine with tens of thousands of belts he could no longer police and defend everyone's broken engines when people try it on and he wouldn't know the age / history of the belts. Great record and history though over the 9 years though.

I understand your reply totally :):upyeah:

20. So no then ;)

Not unreasonable, given most will be home fitted too and any monkey with a spanner could have tensioned it.

Picture is tough to see, but could it be debris from the outside attached to the cover? Personally, I’d have the cover off, you could record it’s remov, ASAP so I could see what could be the issue. Better than sending it back and they remove and find all is good :)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information