1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Fixed - Broken Gas Cap Tube Connection, What Now?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Pictures first

[​IMG][​IMG]

Than I opened it, but I dont remember if this is the right place of the tiny thing going on in there as well
    [​IMG]

Its not my fucking day.

It happened as I was preparing the tank cover for wrapping, the gascap somehow went lose and in the process of trying to pry it back in the hole, I broke that part.

Now I know how you fit the cap back in the whole, but meanwhile I'm stuck with a broken hose connection to wich I dont know what the function is.

Must be important since it has a small ball, a spring and another cylinder piece....

And on this exploded view the gascap only comes as one fucking unit of +200 euro's
    https://shop.oemducati.com/en/products/multistrada/2015-1/multistrada-1200-s-1/fuel-tank--13

I couldnt find the piece seperately....

Am I fucked and obliged to buy a whole new gascap unit?
    Keyless I dont trust and if I would buy the key version, how can I still use my key? the lock mechanisme can be swapped out?

thx

2. I never saw the DVT type, but I think it is just the hose that redirect down the fuel that goes out of the main hole. I actually have 2 of those in my 2010, both going to the line that goes on the LH side just under the engine.

EDIT: I just noticed that it has a mechanism with a spring and a ball. May it be a pressure relief? I don't remember one of those on mine, maybe the DVT kind is a bit more sophisticated. You could purchase a used unit and cannibalize it or use it altogether, but I think you could even try to repair yours once confirmed the purpose of the mechanism.

3. indeed thx man

gonna go to a duc dealer

4. You've only snapped a bit of plastic tube. You can glue it back with some good quality glue like two pack epoxy (don't use Gorilla glue it's not much better than gorilla snot).
    Then if you can re-assemble the unit. If you have an even a slightly mechanical brain you can figure out where and how the bits go together. Hint - if you are having to use force you have got it wrong!
    Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Not intended to be a daft suggestion, but why not try taking the offending section off of the main part and use some good quality superglue, to stick the broken section back in place. The break looks pretty clean and after you've given the repair a go, you can block the outlet side and using a piece of flexible lightweight plastic tube, fit this over the male end of the repair. Then attach this to a hand pump, then lightly apply pressure with the section immersed under-water. This should then show you if you've got a decent seal.
    Then rather more carefully than you took the cap section off of the bike, re-fit it.

I think as Neo9686 says, it looks like the fuel over-flow pipe, but you do need to check this. When over-filling the bike tank, excess flow runs down this pipe very readily, so I don't think there will be that much of a requirement for expressly sealed functionality, however, I am absolutely NOT a mechanic, so you need to be sure as to what this is required to do.

That said, I would have a go at repairing the break first before resorting to spending a whole load of cash.
    Over to you and the very best of luck.:worried:

• Like Like x 1
  6. got if 'fixed' with superglue

I already put on the hose and pulled it out gently, without breaking, so far so good for when assembly is due after wrapping.

And i got the order of the tiny parts figures out. Its cool :)

There small whole in the actual gas tank that lines up with another small whole in the gas cap.
    Both seen here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fumes first go pass a ball
    [​IMG]

The ball fits in a space with some tabs that make the ball sit center
    [​IMG]

The opposite space, therein goes the spring and the metal circular piece with a whole in the middle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after the fumes passed the metal ball, they go underneath into a kind of hallway
    [​IMG]

As you can see there are 2 paths.
    First leads to a void it seems, and I guess when this is full, it goes to the last one, wich leads to the space with the metal circular piece with a whole.

That space also has a whole on the other side, seen here
    [​IMG]

That whole looks like this on the outside
    [​IMG]

Wich is where our tube is located....

The whole space is coverd up with the rubber piece that seals the gascap with the hole in the gastank
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Also worth having some Sugru in the toolbox or fridge (it lasts longer). This is like mouldable glue/rubber and helpful if you need to make a better seal around the join.

https://sugru.com/

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Good write up, good repair dude. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. FYI, you do not need to remove the gascap when pulling the fairing cover off or removing the tank. There is enough flex in the rubber skirt to let it slip off easily and some rubber grease or dishwash to ease reassembly...
    But I guess you have that figured out now...

10. thats what I have and use and for some fucking irritating reason, once I open a pacakge and close that motherfucker in an almost hermetically way AND keep it in the fridge, for some reason it still manages to harden after a few days already.

so I am not too keen anymore to use my last package of sugru for small things....as much as I want to, because its actually crazy expensive if you have to throw away 90% of it.

I dont get it, when you keep yours in the fridge, it doesnt harden??????
    I was actually thinking for my next opened pack, to keep it in room temperature, since keeping it in the fridge doesnt seem to work with me, never ever.

11. I know that, and I didnt remove the gascap, as you could imply from my text

actually, to reassemble, I did just put it more or less in place, bolted some bolts from the tank cover on, and than one by one bolted the six gascap bolts on, that way the bolts push the gascap in in its place nice and tight

now I got it all apart again, but when the wrapping is done, I will be using grease or dishwash to make it flow more easy and to spare the rubber.

12. Once the packet is open you have to use it all. If you keep unopened packets in the fridge they last longer (they have a use by date).

I agree it’s not cheap but we repaired a split cooling hose in the Alps a few years ago -good stuff

13. no doubt its good, I use to block the beltholder for my outside roller shutter

But I tought you implied that once open, you can store and safely used it later on....but now you say clearly once open you have to use it all...okay, thats clear.

14. sooooooooo, the wrap is planned due the week of September 7th upload_2020-7-29_18-24-7.gif

When I disassembled the bodywork, I didnt take into account the guy might actually be booked and busy as fuck...wich seems to be the case here.

Soo, gonna put everything back on so I can ride in the meantime.

15. quick update, fixable, I used a combination of sugru and superglue

16. You sure wo
    Wow, nearly 3 years to fix it! You sure work slow.

17. Great stuff Sugru, we used it to repair the Y shaped hose on a coolant leaking Multi in an alpine hotel car park before the EMM a few years ago.
    11433619-32B8-46D2-A298-F1DC2681D642.jpeg IMG_4900.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Or you could see it like this: fixed it, and gave an update 3 years after the fix how well it held up...

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information