1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Broken Pannier Locating Flange

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by spanish, Jun 18, 2018.

1. First time for 7 years dropped my bike negotiating cobblestones in Ubeda, Andalucia. Initial assement minimal damage fortunately- end of brake lever and slight abrasion R pannier.
    Few days aware R pannier loose and not locating in R location slot on the bike.
    The damage is to the rear location slot in the rear subframe and a piece of the "backplate" had broken off. Thought the pannier locator would have broken first.
    Not sure how to manage this. Has anyone a similar experiences in

2. I had a pannier fixing problem last year. Not quite the same as yours but the solution will be. Use straps around the pannier and around the grab rails etc. Make them as tight as you can and maybe a smaller strap to tension it further. A badge, I know, but
    will get you home.

3. Exact same problem - only just walked in the house from fitting new brake/clutch levers (recommend evo tech when the time comes), anyway pannier is next on list just out of time at the minute. If I figure it out in the next few days I will post up the result or hopefully someone else has had similar and can advise us both!

Hope you get it home ok. If it helps I cruised at 80 for about an hour with it being a bit rattly and it was fine.

4. I done this on a Euro tour.

It’s a replaceable rear subframe part. But basically a full rear end strip down to swap it out. Looked at repairing it but to be fair it’s the weakest point for a reason. Sure it was under £200 for the part.

Will have a look and see if I can dig it out

5. Home without problems and no effect on speed!
    Looked at possibility of some sort of repair but can't see a way so be interested, P4ULG , in any info that you may have. Thanks

6. You do not say what bike it is. If it's a 2015-18 DVT, the part the pannier slots into is an alloy casting, and pretty strong. If you have broken one of those, you must have given it a hell of a wallop and probably done other damage as well.

If it's a 2010-14 pre-DVT, the part the pannier slots into is made of black plastic, and is fragile. Even a slight knock can crack the inner plates. I spent quite a bit of time trying to reinforce a cracked one so it could be re-used, and believe me it is not easy. Your best option is to give in, buy a new part to replace the broken one, and try not to knock it again.

7. Dropped mine in a fuel station with less than 1000 miles on clock. Punched a flap in the pannier cover and punched out the retaining flap where the rear pannier mount locates.
    28000 miles and numerous fully loaded European tours later, no problems. Sure, the pannier moves slightly on the rear mount but secure. Tried to glue the flap back in place but without success the new sub frame bit is fairly easy to replace but will cost about £180(?).
    Glued the flap on the pannier lid with superglue. Never leaked over 5 years

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Has anyone tried to fix the locator panel with sugru or similar?

I know that’s cheap but my reasoning is it’s unseen and based on others experience only stops a rattle rather than forms fundamental security....

Any opinions valued!

9. "Flange" :joy:

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Yes I’ve done that with mine but yet to try it on a tour. It stops the slight movement when the pannier is empty but don’t know how it stands up to a full load. Will be testing it to the max when setting off on our 10 day tour of Germany, Czechoslovakia, Austria at the end of August

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Awesome - please do let us know how it goes?

12. @Majvs - Hey how was the tour? Did the repair hold?

13. Tour went brilliantly thanks. Just over 2000 miles. Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium.
    Repair failed when I leant against the pannier. Too much flex in the Sugru. Didn’t cause any problems though. Pannier just moves a bit on the back mounting, like it has done over the last 6 years!

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Thanks for the update - will tolerate and maybe replace when funds (or deepest winter boredom) kick in.

Glad it was a good trip.

15. When I bought my DVT with no panniers, the lugs had already been broken off unbeknown to me. When I put brand new panniers on, I was not diligent enough to realise the problem as they break off so clean it is not obvious. Anyway, one pannier cartwheeling in my mirrors later I found out all about it. I repaired it with some very dense rubber, very carefully shaped and held in place with one small self tapper carefully applied and some black silicon to take up the gaps and support the whole plot. Since then I have done no trips, so can't tell you how well it all works but will attach a pic.

image.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. "Moist!":p

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information