1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bst Wheel Autopsy

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sev, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Interesting, informative read, thanks for posting Sev.

2. Really useful post, thanks. Not tried the cable tie method, and I scuff wheels tf when I use all the proper kit I have! I only change them on already chipped wheels because of that.

I have some spare fixer wheels, may spend some time experimenting:). Do you use a hairdryer or similar to warm the sides before changes?

3. You need to do Dymag now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I also change my own tyres on BST's, been using the Sealey TC965 with no problem but this product from Germany looks good, anyone tried one?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Cable ties can be quite sharp on new tires and I was concerned about knicks in the bead, try this, it holds the tyre together better too...
    E8934502-0BDC-4972-98B9-E99198CC43CD.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ive just ordered there next model up and used the 15% ebay discount, probably wont use it till june or july as both bikes have new tyres, Does seem a half decent bit of kit
    https://max2h.com/en/shop/tire-changer-evo2/2/tire-changer-evo2-13-21

Interesting thread on the BST's but doubt I will ever have the money to buy a set

Cheers

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Great write up. Just wonder if Mr Sev is going to get a free front wheel from them, for writing such a good article for them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sounds like Mr Sev sells them anyway :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Nah! I wish :)
    They said they’d come back with price and then they’ll see if i want to proceed.

I’d like to get my paws on a knackered dymag to repeat the exercise on and compare the two.

Dymag are looking at speeding up their rate of manufacture and the mational composite centre in bristol has done loads of work for them on it.

Theyre talking about very very quick cycle times which narrows their manufacturing opportunities considerably for mass production, but it’ll be interesting if they manage to pull it off.

Id also be very interested to find out to what level of kerb strike they certify and test their wheel barrels to.

10. Flew out on holiday on the Boeing Dreamliner sat just in front of the wing and watched as it flexed up and down, apparently it can move up to 25ft, quite a surreal experience but testimont to the product capabilities and the engineering behind it. Suitably reassured after watching the below :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. So this is the thing with metals, there’s thousands of years of learning to draw from literally.

Although the words lifetime are bandied around, in truth i dont know if there has been any extensive studies done on the degredation of composite structures over decades.

I can see however things like ndt going to a wider audience as more and more cars and bikes start to use exotic materials as standard, not to mention our pedalling bredrin who also have a very real need for such services.

The manufacturers in reality wont be the ones wirrying about it as the normal “lifetime” for a car is 10 years- after that theres no obligation to support the vehicle other than reputation and goodwill.

So in this respect its the bloke who ends up with that mag and carbon vehicle twenty years down the line wanting to make sure that the carbon or mag oem thingamebob is still safe and up to the job. :)

12. Met a sales guy from Ireland at Hotel near Donnigton a couple of years ago, after BSB round. He was trying to sell me a set of Dymags. Would have been interested but he was so drunk I could not understand him. Gave me a Business card & went to bed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I may be wrong but sure I read somewhere that carbon fibre pushbikes had a life on them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Please do a thread on this piece of kit, as I'm thinking of delving in also (what was the 15% code?).

Tire Changer EVO2 13"-21" <---- the one to go for

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. eBay have 15% off most stuff. Powpow15 I think it is

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. Will do mate, Yes the ebay discount code was powpow15 but im sure the cut of was 8pm tonight, Funny thing is I managed to use the code twice and normally codes can be used just the once

17. Great post, especially as I've just forked out for some rapid teks and am grateful for the reassurance!

I was also looking at some rotobox which get good reviews. Any thoughts on these?

18. Until i can source some damaged ones to carve up.

Who’d have thought I’d ever have damaged carbon wheels on my ebay searches!

19. I hope he bought you breakfast in the morning...

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Bradders .. I do warm the tyre up a bit and it does help but tbh I don't think its absolutely necessary. It just makes sense to get everything working in your favour.
    I only leave it in the sun for a while though .. I don't own any proper tyre warmers, though thats what my local bike tyre fitter uses (at least he used to .. I don't see him much anymore).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information