1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Buffeting/noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by geordie, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Exchanged my Monster 1100 Evo for a 2011 MTS 1200 Touring last week and am in heaven - except for the extraordinary and painful wind noise. Hadn't read anything about this is reviews.
    I've read all the relevant threads but would like to know who's tried what. Less noise is more important to me than weather protection, as 90% of my riding is under 90 mph.
    I wear an Arai Rebel (daft name) helmet, am 6'1", and wear customised earplugs. And it's still unbearable.
    Do Ducati do something useful? Is the CI Sport recommended? Givi?
    I'm leaning towards the dark P Peak for the looks, but does it do anything for the noise?
    Any advice gratefully received. Sorry if you feel this has been covered elsewhere, but personal experience would be a real help.

2. You either need a shorty screen (PP screen or cut down original), head in clean air or something like an MRA screen to take it over your head, this is my preferred option and I'm same size as you, also, look for the little winglets which go between screen and fairing, they make a big difference. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. What screen have you got and is it adjustable? I'm a few inches shorter, but sit quite high on a bike, and dont have an issue with noise even with my Chaser lid which is noisy compared to others. I alsways have on highest setting

4. Huge mileage (+40k miles) on these machines , five screens plus OEM.
    Best i found was the Pike's Peak and get your head in clean air?
    Loads of helmets, all the main makes?
    I pissed about with flip ups and all sorts.
    5'9" +18stone...love the bikes, but I've not found a protected screen that works.
    Fine up to a real 135mph (on the track officer)...after that you are into arm stretching, noise isn't an issue.

This is an opinion and based on my own experience.
    Others will disagree as each has their own.

#4 AirCon, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Short screen is best for general rides, I use a touring screen with an adjustable Wunderlich top screen on long trips.

I have a 3 hole CalSci screen which is almost silent, no buffeting, but also very large and close to you. I need to put this up for sale...

6. Thanks everyone, going with the clean air approach, ordered a Pike's Peak.

• Like Like x 2
  7. You may need one of these:

Givi Screen Ducati Multistrada 1200 2013+

upload_2015-3-19_17-45-59.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. me too ears so painful even with plugs ..but do you get really wet with the little pikes peak screen?

9. Screen arrives Tuesday and I'll let you know as soon as it rains. I'm more concerned about my hearing, than getting wet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gents, its a motorbike.......yes, you get wet. I think you'll even eventually get wet on a Honda Goldwing......although I'm not sure I consider these to be bikes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I had the same problem of wind noise on my 2013 S Touring. I have fitted an MRA Sport screen. Its a lot shorter than the stock screen. Not tried it yet...will keep you posted!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Really have no idea what you lot are talking about. At its highest I get a little noise and also no buffering. Slightly lower and even less noise but more helmet buffer

And I'm a giant 5'8

13. Cant say the buffeting was an issue for me when I test rode a 14 plate a couple of weeks ago. Missus never mentioned anything either when the feedback came. It was a still day though so maybe had a lucky one but honestly - nothing to note afaic.
    Hope you get sorted though because there is nothing on a bike more annoying than that. Helmet choice I've found in the past makes a huger difference to noise and buffeting. Current choice is a Schuberth C3 Pro flip that is an excellent lid all round.

14. I picked up my new touring as yesterday and also was disappointed by the noise. Even nosier than the Fireblade I came from. I am interested to hear your feedback on the small screens.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Again today even with soft plugs wearing a arai chaser the buffering was killing me vibrating in my ears was so painful been on ebay the little puig screen looks ok but waiting on feed back before I buy .

16. I did try with my old shoei flip lid and it was actually a lot better uhmm

17. What, you mean it couod be a lid not the bike? Say its not so? The bike is clearLy a wrong un ;)

18. DP touring screen, Eagle Screen winglets and Arai RXGP 7. I'm 5' 8" and have no buffeting issues at all on my 2012 S Touring

19. I found my Shoei was better than my Arai for wind noise

20. So, today I replaced the OE screen on my 2011 MTS Touring with a Pikes Peak black carbon screen.

As mentioned previously, I wasn't particularly concerned about wind/rain protection, but really couldn't live with the painful noise/vibration of the medium height screen, which created an absurd amount of turbulence, despite fitted earplugs.

Here's my thoughts after a 200 mile ride, from slow to about 100mph; the PP screen is much better - I'm 6" 1' - as the air is hitting you 'cleanly' and there is no vibration in my Arai and significantly less noise. For me it's an excellent if expensive (£240) solution to what I found to be a major problem.

And it looks superb.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, and hope this helps someone else.

Now - - satnav mounts!!! Touratech???

Do Not Sell My Personal Information