1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Building A 748 Sp

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by FallingMage, Feb 28, 2018.

Tags:
?
  1. Red

30.4%
  2. Yellow

69.6%
  1. Hello all,

So I seem to spend more time tinkering with my bike than riding it. It took me 3 years to get my 748 running well after I decided to put a SP engine in it (I moved twice, got married and decided to go back to uni, so time is in short supply, don't judge me). So I finally tracked down a monoposto sub frame which was the last thing I really wanted for my bike and then I would be done messing around with it. However, the person selling the sub frame was selling it with an original German 748 SP frame (verified with Ducati to be a SP made in April 1996). So you can probably guess where this is going.

Here is the bike as it currently is:
    IMG_9994.JPG IMG_9997.JPG
    Yes, those are old photos from when the bodywork looked all fresh and newly painted (its picked up a few scuffs since then).

So, first problem, do I keep it Red, or restore it to the Yellow that the SP's came in?

Here is a reference photo from google of an SP for comparison:
    20140117_115255100_iOS.jpg
    I would probably get the correct year side panels if I did this.

Next problem, I have a polished swing arm (it came that way) which to be honest I have not been a fan of. Should I swap it for a stock one, or powder coat it? if powder coating it, do I try and match the original colour or maybe make it look like a magnesium swing arm?

Last problem (for now), while the frame is in really good condition, it does have some blemishes, so I was thinking of having it powder coated, but there is a part stuck in the head tube that I have no idea what it is called so i'm just gonna post some photos and hopefully someone can tell me what to do to get it out:
    20180228_123528806_iOS.jpg 20180228_123532754_iOS.jpg
    Looks like it needs a special Ducati tool to unscrew it from the top and then slid it out.

So, this is gonna be a fun project. At the moment it is very much in the planning stage, i'm working out exactly what i'm doing and if I need any extra parts. I'm hoping to have everything ready by June, so once I finish my exams for this year I can just jump straight on it and get it done in June (ok, maybe July).

I'll finish (for now) with a picture of the sub frame back from being powder coated.
    20180228_134115652_iOS.jpg

#1 FallingMage, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fairly sure you don't need any special tools to remove the steerer tube?

The easiest head bearings you'll ever change as the bearings are in the removed tube so no need to twat the frame with a hammer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Have you taken the locating bolt out? It should come out if It's a not corroded in place. Yellow BTW

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The headstock part of the frame has pinch bolts top and bottom. Just loosen them and the tube slides out or at least it should slide out

5. and the locating bolt from memory. As ducv2 said. I removed and did the bearings on mine a few years ago.
    very easy

6. have you considered black and white for a colour scheme? You should! Very fetching...

• Face Palm Face Palm x 3
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  7. I am a bit confused. Are you looking to restore it to close to original as an SP or as an MY02 S or E (assuming the rolling chassis in the pictures is one of those) or just change it to what you want? Have to say if you want an authentic(ish) SP or 748E or S you have a lot of work to do apart from the fairings and swinging arm. Bare in mind its age, any unsympathetic mods to the specific model will only lose value (if you care about that at all). Why not get some early style plastics in yellow and you can swap between the two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. He's building it as a genuine SP with an SP frame and his SP engine :)

9. Thats the bad boy.

Took all the bolts out, so I guess its stuck and needs a little assistance from a rubber mallet.

I was thinking of getting close to being what it was originally, which is a 1996 748 SP, I have a SP engine in my current bike so I think i'm half way there.
    I know its never gonna be exact, and to be honest I hate the 3 spoke wheels so would never give up my 5 spokes.

10. Gave it a few taps, yep its a little corroded, not bad, should clean up ok once I have it out. Need to contact image works now to get some replacement frame stickers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Either way, it’ll look stunning!
    Have you got the undertray sorted yet? I got a CF one from Febur last year. Can’t remember for exactly how much but if you email them, they’ll sort you out with a better price if you go direct with them. Only took a couple of days for delivery too.

Ian

12. Undertray arrived from Carbon Moto, looks really good.

Now to find a tool tray.

12BCC78C-0C88-4091-80D6-1BB25AC30888.jpeg

#13 FallingMage, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tool trays only cost a tenner from the dealers. And a few quid for the rubber tool kit strap

14. I've had loads of stuff off carbon moto, good quality and good price.

15. Updates!

Got the frame back from powder coating and got some new hoses.
    20180320_135720046_iOS.jpg 20180320_135740271_iOS.jpg 20180320_135746674_iOS.jpg 20180320_135755908_iOS.jpg 20180320_140043170_iOS.jpg 20180308_214032241_iOS.jpg

Just waiting for some new frame decals from image works now and the frame is done.

Next is the swing arm. Just waiting for time and weather to sort this out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. How close did you get to the original frame colour ? Looks really nice. Andy

17. Probably about 90%
    If you had two frames next to each other you could spot the difference, but it looks really good as it is.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Just a small update today, I cleaned up the foot pegs, got all the original side fairings and got replacement decals for the whole bike from Image Works.
    20180329_212904678_iOS.jpg 20180411_115118590_iOS.jpg
    Probably gonna have to sell the old side fairings first to help pay for the repairs and respray, i'll have to work out what they are worth.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information