1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Bulbs Bulbs Bulbs

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by DD DucDave, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Can anyone recommend some good bulbs for my 748. I don't want to fit any HID bulbs or anything. Just want the brightest bulbs I can get without hacking the headlight and without having the chavy blue light to them?

2. Take a look at the auto express website. They’ve recently tested a load

3. I use orsam night breakers. There are probably better out there but I put them in my 998 and made a massive difference

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Cheers for the feedback, I was looking into the Osram nightbreakers. They seem to have a blue tip painted on them,does this not show up @bettes ?

5. No mate. Pure yellow white! :)

6. Got Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs in at the mo. Perfectly yellow, despite the blue tip.

I’m expecting a delivery of an LED Bulb today. Am going to fit that and see what happens. Have an aux Light that is rigged to main beam and that gives a nice flood of far reaching light.

Trouble is the area in front of the bike is covered by the bike’s light so I get a lovely spread of nice light, with the sea in front of the bike being dimly lit by the bike.

Hoping the LED will, despite the reduced range, flood the area in front of the bike and leave the rest to the aux.

7. LED headlamp bulb?
    Interesting...

8. Will let you know how it goes as I should get time to fit later (wife is out so I have some bike tinkering time).

• Like Like x 1
  9. What year bike is it? The early 748 only has a 55w bulb as standard.

10. I know you just want better bulbs but I will tell my tale anyway
    I fitted a race fairing to mine and fitted a 3" round light to one side which has dipping bulb
    I fitted a dipping HID
    That small light produces far more light than the standard set up so much that I hardly have to use the main beam (usually reserved to blind dick heads that can't be arsed to dip their lights)

• Like Like x 1
  11. And motorway lane hoggers ;)

12. ... who may turn out to be an unmarked police car.

13. Hence why it’s always my last resort and usually done after they ignore a massive gap (or sometimes not even another vehicle ahead at all). Better to explain to the police that, then undertaking and giving the finger etc.

14. Undertaking and giving the finger......everyone knows one!

I've heard of the LED headlight bulbs,but not sure if they do the H1 or H3's that i need. The H3 is causing a small headache.
    @Old rider I checked out the Auto Express review. Looks like Phillips bulbs are the best, only thing is They carried out the test at Phillips's HQ in Germany? How trust worthy are Auto express:thinkingface:

15. They have done bulb tests several times over the last few years. The Osram
    Nightbreakers in my 999 were their previous recommendation.

16. Nightbreakers etc are 55 Watts

17. A few years ago I got hold of some 100w bulbs from Half rads (don't think they do them now) and they were great. Not supposed to be used on the roads but make sure your lights are adjusted properly and it shouldn't cause any problems. Best thing I ever did on my 748 but sadly they got broken when I came off a few years ago.

18. Probably also, don't really continue riding forwards with the sea in front of the bike! Maybe turn round and head in the exact opposite direction?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. From what I can work out, that should have said area, only I missed the R and hit S, with auto correct doing the removal of the A

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information