1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Busted Crankshaft

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Dennis T., Jul 16, 2017.

1. Not mine.... But I saw a Multi 1200 Twin Spark GT with the starter end of the crankshaft busted off yesterday (timing cover side of motor).
    I should have but did not take a picture of the carnage. The bike is around 18K miles and has a meticulous service history.
    The owner has a Ducati Ever Red extended warranty so its getting covered.
    Speaking with the lead tech I was told the replacement crankshaft has a superseded part number
    Luckily it looks like no shrapnel through the motor so they are going to do a light rebuild with a new crank.
    The bike has a Termi Full exhaust with a Rexxer Flash and a PCV for final fuel mapping adjustments
    Don't think that was a contributing factor though.

2. Here's mine. 2010 multi with full service history and under 30k miles
    IMG_1084.JPG

• WTF WTF x 1
  3. Nowt wrong with that..... : - )

4. Only needed a bit of superglue. o_O

Oddly enough, it was still riding at that point. The crank cases were holding the two pieces together and the angle of the break meant the motor still had drive. Amazing as I didn't have to call recovery (except once home).

• WTF WTF x 1
  5. What did Ducati say was the reason for this catastrophic breakage ? And even though your bike is 2010, did they help at all ??

6. No help whatsoever. It was on finance so returned it as not fit for purpose. Independent engineer stripped it for the finance company's checks and they deemed it a manufacturing defect. Even though I'd done the last oil change myself, they checked receipts and were happy. Even went as far as saying that no manufacturer can decline you warranty based on self servicing or using another brand of oil.

7. Glad to hear it worked out ok in the end. Did you get most your cash back on the basis of "not fit" then ??

8. They cancelled the agreement and refunded my deposit. Even got a bit on top for the hassle. I basically just paid the months that I had a working bike. Worked perfectly.

Definitely worth the interest you pay as it's like paying for a warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information