1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying A Diavel, Questions

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by ducatitom, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Introduction (skip if you are lazy, read if you want to know me)

I've ridden bikes for about 4 years now and I love just all bikes in general. I've tested most bikes, cruisers, street bikes, motard, sports etc.
    I can easily see the charm in riding the different machines but my main question to myself has always been. What bike do I want?

I own a 800 CC sportbike today. It's old and not the best looking, but reliable and cheap to own.
    Buying a bike cost money and this next bike I want to buy is for the next 5-10 years.
    First I decided to go for a naked bike because I spend just as much time riding in the city as outside.
    Then I thought a cruiser would be fun, since I love the sounds and the idea of doing some longer trips on a custom cruiser.
    Honestly though, 1200 CC is "too much" for me, or should I say. I don't need more than 800 CC.
    However after a lot of thoughts, my dream bike, The diavel will probably be my next buy.
    Yes it's more than my budget actually allow me to, yes it's expensive to insure but what the hell..

My worse case scenario is that I buy something that I will regret in few years time. I know though that this bike is the perfect mix between sport, cruiser and naked. It's exactly what I'm looking for.

Now to my questions.

1. People joke about Ducati doing "shit bikes" Is it reliable to own ducati? Are there any facts that actually shows that there are many error on these bikes?

2. One of my preference of owning a bike is that it should allow a passenger on. I notice that Diavel Strada has a nice comfy seat, backrest (sissybar) and windscreen. Are these possible to buy with perfect fit to a regular diavel?

3. Share some facts about Diavel that you think is nice to know. The joy of riding it, breakdowns, whatever that comes threw your mind.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

#1 ducatitom, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  2. Hi Tom and welcome to the forum.
    Sounds as though you've answered your own questions there. I've never owned one, or likely ever will, however I did test ride one a while ago and really enjoyed it. Comfortable with two up , but not for high speed touring.
    Have you test rode one yet?
    The forward feet position and long wheel base are the first thing you'll notice/ get used to. If it's something you can't relax into and doesn't suit, then sell it and move on, at least you can say you owned one and can give an honest account of how you found it.
    You'll find plenty of useful help here, even jokes about 'shit bikes'!
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Just my experience/opinion:

1. There are people who have had reliable/unreliable examples of all bikes, forums tend to be used as platforms to air & share concerns. Modern Ducatis are pretty much as reliable as most other bikes. I have had 3 Ducatis & they do seem to respond well to proper servicing & being ridden. They may not be the kind of bikes you can just ride for years whilst neglecting maintenance.

2. You should be able to find passenger backrest accessories and a variety of screens for the standard Diavel. Some may be available from after market suppliers, a quick search on the internet should prove useful.

3. IMHO the Diavel is fun to ride. It does handle well & performs beyond the expectations of its appearance. I found the standard seat to be too low, but higher options are available from the Ducati range of accessories (and perhaps from other suppliers).

The engine responds very well to remapping & after market silencers. My bike has a combination of a Rexxer remap & a Remus silencer (without baffle). This helps the bike to breathe much better & the fuelling is nice and smooth with no flat spots. Sounds nice too, but that's a very subjective issue.

The Diavel is sensitive regarding tyres: The pressures need to be maintained at correct settings & the bike's handling deteriorates when tyres either 'cup' or 'square off'. The Pirellis are not too expensive, so it's not worth persevering with worn tyres. The rear tyres can wear very quickly when they are down to a tread depth of 2mm or lower: Some riders have been caught out during a long ride with worn tyres when they have discovered patches with canvas showing in the centre of the tyre that weren't visible when they set out.

If the standard settings on the suspension don't suit your weight, then it is worth adjusting the settings or consulting a suspension expert for help. Some people have reported good results by changing shocks and/or springs. I haven't done that yet, but I am aware that the rear shock is quite firm (with my 78kg on the bike) for poorly surfaced roads.

The comfort of the pillion perch may depend on the size & flexibility of the passenger. Mrs H finds the foot pegs to be on the high side & hence her knees are bent more than she would like. She also finds the standard rear grab rail to be beyond her reach behind her back when wearing leathers. But I should point out we are in our late fifties & Her Indoors is finding that her body doesn't have the degree of suppleness it had a few decades ago.

As a rider I find the Diavel to be very comfortable. The upright riding position enables a good all round view.

Perhaps a test ride would be a good idea? The Diavel has a lot of power, but I find it to be quite easy to ride at all speeds.

Recommended. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks, Carr01
    Thanks so much for that detailed "review", Rudolph Hart

I have never ridden one so I still don't know how the experience will be.
    There are very limited amount of used Diavels here so even thinking of maybe buying one in Europe. I'm not in a rush to buy a new motorcycle but will definitely have it to next season start.

I'll contact my local dealer (if we have one) and take a test ride.

5. IMG_5312.JPG Hi Tom,

I've been riding Ducati's for almost 15 years, always sports bikes. I've always serviced them at the correct intervals, using a good Ducati workshop.

Apart from general service items, I'm please to say that I've not had to pay out for anything else. Don't forget that in the main, you will only find negative reports on the internet, not many people go online to rave about how good their car / bike / holiday / new gadget etc is. Most times, people turn to the net to rant about a problem they have. As such, many online comments are negative.

I picked up a Gen II Diavel Red Carbon 3 months ago, and struggle to find the words to explain how happy I am with the bike. It's stunning, it could quite easily have been "bland", as the bike does not fit into any traditional category. but, Ducati managed to create a bike that does wayyyy more than it should be able to.

It handles really well for its size, once on the move, the weight and bulk vanishes. The riding position suits me, and I find it quite comfy. The engine pulls strong, and can surprise many other bikes. The brakes are as good as most sports bikes ..... basically I love the thing.

Yes the stock suspension needs tweaking to get an acceptable ride.

Mine has the full termi system and the Ducati Performance upmap flash on the ECU, the sound is brilliant.

I have the standard small screen, based on sitting up normally, wind blast is fine up to 80mph ish, ok up to 100mph, but too much for me after that. To be honest, that's fine for me, it helps keep my license safe.

I have no regrets at all in buying the Diavel.

Get a test ride and make your own mind up.

• Like Like x 5
  6. I bought this on a whim,, I always fancied a Ducati after having Zx's and also some cruisers, I was after a Pani but realising that knocking the 50age mark maybe my back wouldn't be quite happy bent over with my head in a screen, also the wife is waiting for a knee op which made me think about how she would fair on a postage stamp of a rear seat, Anyhow I bought it and to be fair I think its a wolf in the sheep's lingere,Yeah Urban is a bit clunky around town, Touring is pretty good 2 up on the country lanes and such ,then stick it in Sports and your dithering like an MP filling his tax form in ,,its brutal, But the wife loves it, she reckons the seating arrangement for her is top notch(I thought the fold down pegs would be too high for her,) Yeah the grab rail leaves a lot to be desired I bought her one of them grab belts that go round my waist which does look like you've brought Graham Norton to a bike meet but still, she feels a bit more secure
    Suspension,,well as they all say, its an acquired taste it can be tweaked just like all things and normally at a price, but that's the thing with Ducati's,
    Would I change it for anything else? Yep a newer one.
    At the end of the day, no bike is perfect,there's +/- reviews about all bikes, and to me its what your happy with, which for me is this Diavel

Diavel.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. @Carbon749 Thanks so much for sharing your story. That sounds promising and you are right that people in general visit the internet to complain.
    You are right that 100 MPH is enough and I think it's positive to feel the wind. Since that will limit your speed as well. This bike doesn't need 160 BPH. 100 would be just enough for me. PS: Nice bike!

@Rick B I'm also fine with a more straight up riding position. A bit aggressive is always manageable.
    I wouldn't want to carry one of those belt even though they seems like a really clever tool. A backrest would be a better option for me.

Thanks so much for actually writing to me. I appreciate these type of messages a lot. Can't tell when I'll do the test riding but I will def. share my lil´review

PS: I see that the both of you have the same exhaust. What is it called and is it a safe card? Like akrapovic

8. @ducatitom

The exhaust is the full termi (termignoni) system as sold by Ducati. Nice option to have, but, not cheap. Previous owner had the system fitted at the 600 mile "run in" service, at a cost of almost £2,000.

Comes with a new map for the ecu.

All works well and sounds very loud and nice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. As above ^

• Like Like x 1
  10. Damn, that's far out of what my budget would allow me to spend on an exhaust. I'd prefer just a slipon for max 500

11. @ducatitom

I would never spend that kind of money for an exhaust. I was lucky, it came with the bike.

If you are looking at used bikes, most will have some sort of aftermarket exhaust already fitted. Termi slip on, Remus, RaceFit, AR .... etc. a few will have the full system like Rick B and mine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. @Carbon749
    In that case, well nice!
    I haven't heard the stock in real life but they sound decent. If I by any chance change the exhaust I want to first and foremost get legal once.
    I enjoy going to the track and they have DB restrictions. On some exhaust a db killer still make 90+ DB which is just too much for me.

13. I have had my Diavel for just over a year now. I have had most bike types and makes in the past, and came off a Street Triple onto my Duc.

At 60, I dont want to be bent over and all my weight on my wrists anymore, them days are past me. However, as the guys above have said, these things are no slugs, and can suprise sports bikes quite easily.

I find it very comfy for a day out round Wales. The lighting on mine (Gen 1) is pitifull, and I wonder what Ducati were thinking putting something totally unfit for purpose on a bike costing this much. I believe the Gen 2 is better though.

Like the other guys, mine has a full Termi system, and its LOUD. It turns heads from 100 yards when on full chat. I have the baffles, but dont use them because its an addictive sound as well.

On a run you can get between 40 and 50mpg relatively easily, and thats with some brisk travelling thrown in.

Mine gets serviced by Ducati Manchester, and I'll probably get the belts done early spring for next season. I'm a fair weather rider you see. An oil service cost £200 along with the usual checks.

All in all, I love the bike IMG_1075.JPG and when I eventually decide to replace it, it will probably be a with a newer one. It goes, stops and handles well enough for me. Some folk find the suspension not to their liking, but I aint no Rossi, and I know I'll never find anywhere the limit of this bike. TBH, I havent adjusted the settings at all, and if I did, I honestly dont think I'd notice the difference as I'm not that 'trained' in that area. I suppose if I rode one with Ohlins shock and Andreani cartridges back to back with mine, I may feel something. But really, would it be worth over £1k worth of better feel, I doubt it for me. Thats mine at Bala on Sunday.

Stuart

• Like Like x 5
  14. @CINNABULL Thanks for that info! I can agree that the lightning wasen't Ducati´s best choice on the early bikes. At least they fixed that!
    It looks epic though.

15. Had a gen 1&2 both superb bikes if I hadn't just bought a new Multistrada I would have bought another one

• Like Like x 2
  16. My brother has a Diavel, and he loves it. Enjoy :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Great bikes - but the stock suspension cannot be dialled in to make the most of the handling. Some are happy enough, but if you come from sports bikes you need to replace - I swapped out suspension front (Andreanis) and rear (Nitron) and got the bike I thought I was buying when on the test ride thought I'd be able to adjust the stock units
    Best money I ever spent on a bike

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. so much great input. Thanks @m@tt for sharing.
    Now I can't wait to try this bike out.

• Like Like x 1

19. Well i have a Gen 2 Diavel Dark Stealth to which i absolutely love to bits... such a thrill to ride and a real head turner.
    Few 20180719_101240.jpg 20180719_101240.jpg 20180525_195546.jpg issues i have experienced to which one I am still trying to resolve.
    Fuel gauge stopped working at 4000 miles...known fault by many. Got fuel sender unit replaced but on completion of that fix the odometer decided to turn from 4300miles on the clock to dashes.... tried disconnecting battery and had the bike on diagnostics for it to come back as normal. I have done a further 300 miles hoping it would reset but no.... bike booked into Ducati Glasgow next week so hopefully just a programming job.
    Rear tyre replaced at 4000miles, worn through to canvas on the NC500 run. Seamed to happen all of a sudden... was worth the hard riding though.
    Do yourself a favour and get yourself a true sport tourer

Do Not Sell My Personal Information