1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying A Ducati 851 1990 Superbike

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Rob Lamey, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Hi
    I am new on here, and the reason for becoming a member is because I am interested (and have been offered) in buying the above bike.
    A friend has had one made available to him. Been off the road for several years, but low mileage, in good condition, and the oil, belts etc have all been changed ready for selling.
    Is there anything I should look out for in particular. It is not a daily bike for me, one I will bring out in the sun, and wrap up warm in the winter!!!
    Advice and guidance welcome, but please do not over complicate things for me, I don't mind minor issue that can crop up, but anythung major that is worth knowing, or replacing before it fails is good to know!
    Thanks

2. welcome Dave and don't forget to introduce yourself properly in the newbies section :)

3. Hello, welcome! Can we see a picture of the bins you intend to home this rare and beautiful thing amongst?

Is it in Scunthorpe by any chance?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marzocchi M1R forks or showa upsidedowns?
    1990 was changover year and makes a difference in value. Later showa better and more des.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Welcome Rob,,very much like 851`s:upyeah:if serviced/belts changed nothing else needed,,ready to Roll & enjoy:motorcycleduc:

#5 XH558, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hello & Welcome

7. hello and welcome dude. Can't offer any specific advice ( many here can and will in time) other than buy it!!!
    and get pics up!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Not in Scunthorpe! I'll get pics up soon, hopefully going for a short spin today and will take pics.

9. Thanks

10. Oh ok, I will check today. Any particular markings that would identify them, or just your typical SHOWA logo!!! I ask as being the age it is I think the decal on the forks is worn (from memory).

11. Oh ok, I will check today. Any particular markings that would identify them, or just your typical SHOWA logo!!! I ask as being the age it is I think the decal on the forks is worn (from memory).

12. IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0959.jpg IMG_0960.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. Marzocchi M1R forks

Lovely bike. Congratulations

14. Yep, M1R forks but bonus is that model has alloy tank(i think, check with magnet)
    Nice bike in great condition.

15. lovely and looks original - what is the mileage?

16. Looks great! Congratulations :upyeah:

17. 13,000 miles

18. Does the forks have a large impact on value? If I could find some would it better fitting them? It is hard to value the bike as I can't see many being sold. What do we know about numbers produced, still around, values etc?

19. Do the exhausts look original?

20. 851 in M&S Newcastle if that one does not suit.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information