1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Buying A Multistrada 1200s Touring

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Gazpeace, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Hi just looking for a bit of advice please. Going to look at a 2012 multistrada 1200s with 44000 miles on the clock would you say that’s too high mileage? Is there anything I need to look out for? The owner said it has had the belts done 1500 miles ago is the desmo service normally done at the same time? Any advice appreciated

2. That would probably be the twin spark model which were more reliable than the fitrst ones. Desmo service (and belts) should have been done so ask to see the service book and stamps, Ducati dealer is preferable.

Possible issues:
    Fuel sender (they have often been replaced, so ask)
    Exhaust value can get stuck, you can hear it cycle when the bike is switched on) lots of people disconnect it and it’s not a problem if it is.
    Make sure the suspension is working properly (change to passenger plus luggage and you should hear the motor)
    Rear swing arm bearings
    Fork seals

Good luck and report back on what you think

• Like Like x 1
  3. It should have had a desmo and belt service every 15,000 miles. So it would be due one shortly and if the owner has done it they've done you a favour. But check the paperwork, they may have cheaped out and just done the belts. If you know it's number plate you can try calling the local Ducati dealership and seeing if they have a record of it.

I'd check the painted surfaces as I'd expect them to be suffering if not well looked after. If not replaced already I would expect all the brake discs to be approaching wear limits by this mileage which would be around 5-700 to replace.

I found my chain/sprockets needed replacing around the same time as the major service, so see when this was done as that's a few hundred using OEM parts.

Based on age you would have thought the suspension would have received new fluid, air filters are replaced every 15k.

What did they want for it as there are lots of 1200's around at the moment (check Ebay) between 5-7k with lower mileage than that.

4. No 2012 was single spark, 2013 is when Skyhook and twin spark came in. This would be a Ohlins model.

5. Like anything it depends on the price if the 44k is too high? But as for “is the engine past it” then probably no, as long as it’s been kept serviced?

So being a 2012 I guess it’s a pre twinspark engine and skyhook suspension (introduced 2013) and so will have Ohlins forks, some had the electronics package added to make them semi active I believe, might be worth checking for that?

Desmo service is mileage related (every 15k miles) so it will be due another one soon so factor in £1000+ for that if main dealer is doing it? Belts are every 5yrs or 15k miles whichever comes first so not necessarily done with a desmo service?

6. Hi cheers for the help who could I tell if it has the electronics package added?

7. Hi cheers for the help, they also Say they have had a new fuel level sensor Fitted And activated. Is that what you mean by the fuel sender? Also said they have had A complete refresh of the back brake system?

8. Not sure tbh, @Android853sp might know?

9. If it's been maintained and tidy, all the issues people warn you about should have been dealt with by the previous owner.
    If the price is good, buy it.

10. You’ve not mentioned the price, I’d be expecting the price to start with a 5?

11. I think the upgrade being mentioned is the Ohlins Suspension Control Unit (SCU) upgrade? This is a direct replacement for the OEM unit. One of the guys on here (AndyW) was a bit of a wiz with all things 1200S and produced this info on the upgrade: http://www.mts1200.info.gridhosted.co.uk/index.php?threads/ohlins-scu-upgrade.168/

Worth a quick read and will at least let you know what you're looking for and where to find it on the bike.

12. What if I said he said he would sell it me for £4000?

• Like Like x 2
  13. 2012, 1200 Sport (S) or Sport Touring (sT) should have electronic Öhlins. If the Öhlins after market SCU (suspension control unit) has been fitted, there will be a bigger range of adjustment, over 30 settings, in the set up menu or just choose 1 for auto, semi reactive suspension. If the SCU has not been fitted, it is still available but only from Öhlins in Germany at about £400. Please DO NOT believe any adverts from Italy. At 44,000 miles, I’d expect the one way starter bearing (Sprag clutch) to potentially be nearing the end of its life if it’s not already been changed. I’m nearing 50,000 miles and the clutch is still good but the plates have a finite life. As already said, the emissions valve in the standard exhaust is a PITA and needs disabling if not already done. Chances are the (new) fuel sender will fail …… because they all do that sir :joy: Air mass flow sensors had a bad batch in 2011/2012, I’ve had both replaced. Rear eccentric wheel bearings can fail, I’ve replaced mine (DIY job) costs about £200 for new bearings. If the eccentric is not cleaned regularly, bearing failure is a certainty. Chains and sprockets can last on average 15,000 miles, £250 to replace. Engine paint will be awful, I used Hammerite silver, plenty good enough. Öhlins fork seals are a known weakness, I’m on my 3rd set so I meticulously clean the fork legs after rain and mud on the road. Calipers need cleaning, new pistons are not cheap. I’ve replaced both front brake and clutch master cylinders at 44,000 as the piston seals started to fail. Replacements for the Clutch you can buy, the Brake is not so easy. If the bike has been correctly loved you might be lucky but if it hasn’t, you could look at big money. £4k is a good price point, not a cheap price point. Hope your viewing goes well. Andy

#13 Android853sp, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Rear brake “complete refresh” might mean just a better-than-usual bleed job. The back brake can easily become poor. There are fixes, some more long-lasting than others.
    As others have said, fuel sensor, front fork seals.
    Heated grips if fitted may fail.
    Have there been any issues with the steering lock refusing to activate/deactivate?
    Mine had 39000 and I was happy with it. It went in part-ex for £4900…

15. I'm gonna guess it's this one.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115458706969

Other than the quirky paint scheme it looks in decent nick in photos.
    I think you should budget for a desmo service, I reckon the front discs won't have long left to live. (But if you have the tools you could measure them. I believe the minimum thickness is 4mm)
    The rear indicators in the numberplate are not standard.
    The mirrors are not standard.
    Looks like a load of tape around the grab handle (near the left pillion footpeg), makes me wonder why.

16. Sidestand bolt wears/fractures sometimes. Check it’s not leaning further over than it needs to.

17. How much would you say a desmo service would be if the belts have already been done? Yes I noticed the tape near the rear peg what is that bar for what the tape is on?

18. The bar is a lifting handle to help get the bike on the centre stand, I'm guessing the tape is for a better grip? Normally it is just a machined metal handle

19. I’d say at a dealer your looking at £1000-1200, belts don’t make much difference to the cost.

It’s a handle that folds out for you to use to help lift the bike up onto the centre stand, I’d guess the rubber part has worn/fallen off the handle. Also noticed there should be some rubber boots for the panniers (more black tape) they fit near the pillion pegs and often fall off.

20. Very questionable paint job!

• Agree Agree x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information