1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Buying Advice On Enduros

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by vince82, Oct 18, 2020.

?

Which one should I get?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2020.
  1. 2016 enduro

40.0%
  2. 2019 950s

20.0%
  3. 2017 enduro

40.0%
  1. I have 3 options, all of them at objectively good price for what they are (I checked the bluebooks to make sure the dealer is not playing tricks)..
    All 3 are demo bikes, and in order from cheapest to most expensive, the choice is between:

• 2016 Multistrada 1200 Enduro with Touring package, 1010km on the clock (this has the best deal and the most discount, no warranty balance)
    • 2019 Multistrada 950S Spoked Wheels, 400km (no optionals, 6 month warranty balance)
    • 2017 Multistrada 1200 Enduro with Touring Package, 15km (but no warranty balance left)

I think I can make my budget work for all 3, with the 3rd one being a bit of a stretch.
    The 2016 enduro is also in white which is my favourite color (other 2 are red), but sat long in the parking lot and the black plastic are a tiny bit faded (but that is fixable with the right products).. Between option 1 and 3 there is a 3000$ gap (Canadian).. Is it justified to go for #3 or should I go with #1? Or simply fuck it and go with the 950S, which lighter, easier to manhandle and actually what I was initially looking for and has some warranty?

Are there issues with the 2016 I should be aware about?

2. If 2 up touring is in the mix I’d go for the bigger engined ones. Solo riding I’d have the 950.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lighter, newer, with warranty unless its to be a full time tourer. The resale value of the '16 will be pretty low after two years of ownership...

4. It depends how good the prices are now, compared to what is for sale.

If your riding solo, want warranty, and want a newer bike then go with a 950.
    The price difference between 1 and 3 would indicate that's how much 1 year and ~1km is worth.

Personally, if you want white, buy white, and maybe spend the difference on acessories like crash bars, rad guards, etc.
    I wouldn't worry about the year difference, your saving 3k, they are both out of warranty and essential the same bike.

5. Just make sure the warranty items have been changed on both 16 and 17. Water pipe and rear shock. Also key fob has been replaced under warranty too. After 4 years on a 2016 I only had a daf left switchgear, keyless lock stopped working and some oil seepage from the central belt pulley which were all covered under warranty Can’t you just get a warranty extension?

6. I hope you have test ridden an Enduro. I am sure the reason behind so many low, sometimes really low, mileage Enduros for sale is that the owners simply found them too BIG. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and can't get both feet flat on the ground at a stop. Add a pillion to the mix and things get hairy really quick. Riding is a breeze but I find myself premeditating parking spot activities. Really BIG bikes! Mine is a 2017, bought "new" from a dealer a year ago. I scoured the forums and only found one recall that was fixed by the dealer. Other than this, fuel senders seem to be a common issue right up to 2020.

Where in Canada are you? I'm in south west BC.

7. I am not intimidated by the fact they are big. I test rode the 950 which has same seat height) and its perfectly manageable.
    I am 5ft9" and I have a Tracer 900. I ride it with seat in tallest setting, same seat height and weight as the 950. The enduro seat is like 1cm taller and it really adds like 25kg, not a whole lot.
    On my Tracer with full bags and pillion often, I don't have any issues with the weight or balance. I am wholly prepared I will never flat foot an adventure bike and I don't even try. Cpt. Morgan at every stop ;)
    [​IMG]
    Vancouver, I am looking at the demos at Ducati Richmond.

8. I voted what I have 2016 because I am biased. However if you wait a month or so into december I'm sure you'll get even better new options. Or those same bikes will become cheaper as we creep into covid-2021'

9. Having had a 1200 Enduro for 2.5 years now (and done about 15,000 miles) my only observations are that the fuel gauge WILL fail, and the heated grips on the Touring bikes WILL fail. Having just done 2000 miles round Scotland I'd say that even fully loaded (although riding solo) the 1200 is overkill - I didn't once wish I had more power. In fact, coming home and blasting around locally on my 600 Monster confirms that it's not about huge torque, it's about engine character. If I was buying a bike now I'd seriously consider the 950.

Buy Barkbusters and engine bars, don't ask me why (and I'm 6'2!).

I keep my black plastics looking perfect with gun oil spray. Makes the bike easier to clean, too.

I guess my preference would be to go as new as possible with as low mileage as possible. Whichever you choose I suspect you won't be unhappy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Warranty is the most important thing in my opinion as you can't extend it once the bike is registered for a while (unless you buy from an alternative supplier).

Otherwise newest with lowest milage.

I had a 950 (not S) as a loan bike and didn't really notice huge, meaningful differences from my 1200S

11. Yes, T4M, but you do tend to loiter / hang around a bit.....be honest :p:eyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I think I can convince them to add me a warranty extension at cost (does not lose them any more money) on the 1200, because they really want to move it. And given it's fully kitted it will end up costing me less than other options.
    I will try them both (and also I found local a 2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S and R). Will try all options and basically get whatever tickles me the best.

I read on owner facebook groups that there are plenty people with 100.000+km on the Multi 1200s, as by 2016 that was a very well proven and reliable engine. 1260s are yet to break that ground.

13. It’s not the seat height but the width of seat.

14. I tried all of them, and then I made a mistake: I tried a Suzuki Vstrom 1050xt.. I might be getting the Vstrom.

The 950s is a significantly better bike than the 1200 enduro, the Enduro is incredibly cumbersome and top-heavy and you can clearly feel the weight of the front end pushing on the tire under trail braking, did not like it at all.

Engine wise, the 1200 is a riot. Really fun engine. But that is its only selling point over the 950s.
    The 950s instead as a road bike feels a bit inferior to my Tracer 900, especially in terms of engine, not by much, but I like how she does not dive under heavy breaking (excellent feeling from the brakes), the air protection is good, the body position, throttle response, are all good. Gearbox is clunky but acceptably clunky. And I have the expectation she would do ok offroad. So that gets a pass for sure but..

The Vstrom 1050, on the other hand, I got on it just out of disappointment because I had gone to that dealer to try the KTM 1290 Super Adventure R and I realized it was so tall there was no point in even trying it.
    First impression is that the VStrom is a thin bike: a really thin bike. So I gave her a try and as soon as I left the parking lot and I was like what?? The thing is also unbelievably light and nimble. I was at a loss for words. Engine is so-so: numbers would suggest it's roughly the same power as the Multi950s, but it does not feel even remotely as fun. That said, it's capable. And the light feel is a major advantage. Breaks are good, suspensions are good (non electronic, but well sorted out) and has the right kind of wheels in the right sizes. Wind protection needs a spoiler but that's addressable on Aliexpress.
    It might have a slighter lower ground clearance and suspension travel (both down by 1cm) compared to the 950S but the light feel and manoeuvrability are so off the chart that it clearly would be a better offroader. And it corners decently too.

A 2020 Vstrom also costs A LOT LESS than a 2019 Multi 950s :|

15. Not the prettiest bike though...

16. Would you risk dropping a beautiful Multi950S on a rocky forest road? The VStrom.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. Not ever going to happen with my Multi but it even improve the VStrom?
    :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Adventure bike patina :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Top heavy? You want to push? Keep your 30 l tank low. You want to cover distances? Fill it up! What’s the problem here. You get the best of both worlds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tank was only 30% during my test, the bike was still feeling very top heavy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information