1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying First Duc Aged 62.

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by TZ750D, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Hi all, I’m from the UK, lived in the US for last 10 years. I raced TZ750s back in the 70s, against Ron Haslam, Joey and Robert Dunlop, and Foggy was just starting out on a TZ250 as I ran out of money. Also raced at the MGP on TZ750s. Did a couple of track days a couple a years ago on an RSVR at Laguna. Had a nice lowside first time out but enjoyed myself. I still bounce OK. Want to try something a bit quicker now, so either an 1199R or V4S. Also going to retire to UK in 4 years and will bring the bike back with me. Would love to ride at Cadwell again though when I see it on YouTube now it looks really narrow. Don’t remember it like that but we all weighed about 9 stone back in the 70s... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 13
  2. Welcome TZ USA dude :) :upyeah:

1199R all the way btw :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nope, Panigale R is better :p

Welcome TZ Dude :cool::upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I knowz, but that wasn’t an option :innocent:

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. Welcome along first duke of Minnesota

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks lads. Panigale R and 1199 R are same thing though aren’t they? Also interested why you like that over the V4S. 1199R would certainly hold its price a bit better. Though certainly would not be going up in value like some classic bikes. Thx, Don

7. R bikes become more collectable over time.

The 1199R came in 2 different guises. The original or “1st Gen” is referred to as an 1199R and is really a breathed on S. the later, or “2nd Gen” is referred to as a Panigale R was a much higher spec bike. Nothing wrong with the 1st gen, but do your homework and don’t pay over the odds if that’s what you go for.

There are loads of threads on here on the bikes

#7 Robarano, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Ah got it. Yes I know the Gen 2 has some good upgrades in the electronics and autoblipper. In the US they are all called Panigale. And yes agree with you RS hold their money much better which is nice. I had a few classic bikes and did OK on a couple when I sold them (most went to the UK). But feeling the need to get back into sports bikes. I just bought an 05 Repsol CBR1000RR with zero miles on it. I just like the colours. . I paid $11500, and I know value will drop when I fire it up and ride it, but I don’t give a fuck. At least I know the frame or forks aren’t bent. Ride em don’t hide em.

• Like Like x 3
  9. 1st Generation

[​IMG]

2nd Generation

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hi & welcome. You won’t go wrong with any Pani. Down to budget & choice. All are great bikes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Welcome David

• Like Like x 1
  12. Welcome Ride em don't hide em,LOL:upyeah:always go for a R spec model.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Friendly group - thanks all. I know there is a lot of shit going on right now in the UK (plenty in US too) but I do miss the banter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The world is in meltdown so you'll need a sense of humour to get to the otherside.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. No shit going down here - just a few fluffies wanting to be raped by the EU o_O
    Gen 2 Pani R is basically a Superleggera Engine - much higher spec... but both fab bikes

#15 Exige, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Spending the kid's inheritance and enjoying it - sounds like a plan Don :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. welcome tz'

• Like Like x 1
  18. Found this on't tinternet:

I Ride: 2015 1199R
    Had a 13R & a 15R (unchanged to 2016) -- go for the 2016R & you'll get a rev happier motor, SL 2 ring Pistons, full Ti valves (intake and exhaust, the 13R has only intakes) enhanced next level electronics to include Lean Angle Sensor (great for checking your oil) [​IMG] & Up/Down Quick Shifting ('13 has only Up) although you'll still need the Akra Race Exhaust slip-ons to get rid of the catylitic converters (located in the mufflers as opposed to being in the headers in the 2013 which means you need a full system to derestrict it)

Last edited by RD16RR; Dec 26th 2017 at 08:51 AM.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Funny I just read that too - thx.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information