1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying From The Eu

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by duc996bp, Mar 26, 2021.

1. I’m thinking of buying some bike stuff from Italy, what’s the situation now we are not part of the EU? I assume I will have to pay import duty and vat + any handing costs? Should the seller remove their local vat?

2. Good luck in getting the seller to remove the local VAT.

3. Ohh really, why is that? Does it require extra paper work their end?

4. The rules are quite clear by now. Items under a value of 135 pounds:
    The seller charges VAT at the UK rate. You pay duty ( varies but most goods are 2.5%) and customs clearance ( each courier has its own fee, 12 to 20 pounds seems average). The pitfall is that foreign sellers are supposed to set up a HMRC account so they can pay the VAT. They are charged a fee for the pleasure too so some won't do it.
    Items over 135 pounds:
    No local VAT is payable. You pay VAT, duty and customs clearance from this end.
    Online facilitators like Amazon, eBay, Ali express:
    They have to charge you VAT as the facilitators of the sale. Even if you buy a used part from a private person on eBay, if they are abroad you get charged UK VAT at the checkout. Duty and fees also apply.
    Sometimes you get away with it and aren't charged anything, other times you pay the full amount.
    I found that things delivered by royal mail are usually free. The couriers like UPS, TNT etc are more likely to do it by the book.
    Hope this helps

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  5. Thanks pet smith, the item is about £1000, so the shop should charge me with their local vat removed, I will then pay vat, duty etc.. here in the uk?

6. Yes, that is exactly how it works now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The strategy I use for goods from USA is to have them sent to my buddy in NY who then sends them onto me as a personal item, thus avoiding all duties.

Haven't purchased from the EU since we left but my plan (once we are allowed too) is wait until I need 3 or 4 things then then take advantage of an easyjet cheapo and have a day out, last time I did this I paid £45 easyjet compared to the 160 euros quoted for shipping, so deffo cheaper than postage and of course by hand carrying myself again avoiding the thieving motherF***rs at HMRC

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. STM clutch, Italian

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sounds easy enough... i suspect it will be nothing like as easy. I have no doubt customs will do many more spot chckes over the coming months and years as we leave and enter the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. i've got £500 worth of carbon coming from germany any day so not sure what to expect. i ordered and paid in Nov long before Jan departure and also paid local VAT. fingers crossed but expecting a bill...............:confused:

11. If you have the bill showing it was ordered and paid in November your purchase is under the old rules so nothing extra to pay.
    Look at the bottom of the document attached. It's of the government website.

Attached Files:

12. Cheers mate

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information