1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Parts From Italy……import Charges?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Corsacav, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Has anyone bought anything online from Italy? I was looking at a set of brembo master cylinders and they are a lot cheaper direct from Italy.
    I’ve read up and apparently I’d end up paying 20% vat , 5% import duty and around £20 charge from the courier for admin.
    However……. I revived an offer from a seller on eBay and eBay has taken the vat off?

5B5DC48C-ACBD-4A6C-9A73-DAD01D110374.png

2. Yes UK vat plus admin charges

3. So eBay have fucked up telling me they have knocked the vat off?

4. AFAIK the VAT is taken off the Italian side then added this side plus admin fee’s. eBay are only knocking off the VAT on the European side, whoever the carrier is do the admin and VAT this side is my understanding.

Items I’ve bought below £130 have attracted no import charges nor admin, a £160 set of rear sets became around £210 with taxes and admin charges. You have to pay in my case parcelforce the taxes and charges before the item is released for delivery.

5. Ahhh i see, I might as well just buy from the uk and save gambling on charges….thank you for clearing that up!
    Actually I might treat the Mrs to a winter break in Italy and fill her case full of shiney parts if they are alot cheaper over their

6. I recently purchased a set of serie oro discs and front Brembo pads, as I was holidaying in Ireland I got it sent there. I am reliably informed I paid less than the bike shop I get stuff from can get it for. Suitcase was a bit clanky on the way back! Used carpi moto who were excellent!

7. Good idea!

8. I'm just going through this minefield now for some parts bought in Italy. The problem has been complicated by the fact that the supplier has added VAT to the total before shipment, and the currency is Euros.
    The carrier has billed me for 20% of the invoice cost (including shipping cost and the Italian VAT - IVA), customs duty ~ 2%, and the brokerage fee of £11.50. In my case they have asked for nearly £90 before they will deliver. I have had to complain to be sent an invoice for the charges. In addition, they appear to have used the cost in Euros as though it was GBP, thereby inflating the charges even further - unbelievable!
    If you wade through the government guidance on Vat and duty requirements for motorcycle parts, depending on what they are, they may be zero rated for duty - Commodity Code 8714109090 is zero duty - but the VAT will be 20%.
    My advice is to make sure that the supplier clearly states the currency, removes the local VAT from the invoice, and the carrier uses the correct UK VAT and duty charges.
    In my case, if I can resolve the obvious problems it will still be worth doing = Just!
    Good luck.
    Tom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information