1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Buying Second Hand

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Mark Prior, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Hi All
    I am probably going to buy a base model 1299 this weekend, are there any particular weak areas I should check before buying ? I have heard of a few problems with the dash screen cracking, do they eat chains and sprockets ?
    Cheers

2. Only 2000 miles in for me, chain wear seems ok, screen will probably crack and ..............QUICKSHIFTER wiser men than me will be along soon!

3. Standard header can crack on the rear cylinder

4. I've had mine since May. Only thing I've had to replace is the water pump. Chain wear seems ok.

Will be looking to upgrade the qs though as I think the standard one is awful.

5. I have 15k miles on mine now. I had a dash replaced (black horizontal line of dead pixels).
    I also had a weeping water pump changed. Fixed the issue for a while but it has now come back. Ducati has now stated that a few drops of coolant from the weep hole is within spec. They have started fitting a rubber pipe from the hole to the bottom of the bike too!
    Look for signs of horizontal chain slap where the upper run of the chain passes the footpeg. If there are signs of contact it probably needs a new chain and sprockets.
    I have had the clutch master cylinder replaced (needed regular bleeding). The replacement is no better. I carry an 11mm spanner so that I can bleed it when out and about.
    Check whether or not the brake master cylinder recall has been done.
    My original quick shifter still works ok after 15k miles. Many other people have had nothing but trouble with them...

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Had mine from new 65 plate. 5000 miles only problem was exhaust valve got stuck shut it some how jumped passed the end stop. And the brake recall. shifter good blipper good. Get it you will love it.

7. What was the brake master cylinder recall about? Did that affect 1199 too?

8. No, I do not think it affected 1199 bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. I've owned my 1299-s for just over 18 months now and put 7k miles on it. I've had no faults with it really even after 2 trips around Spain. Service history is a must imo on these bikes, whether that be main dealer or not. Check for recall on brake master cyl, exhaust manifolds can crack at the flange. Overall I think they're a pretty reliable beast, I was going to buy a 2015 Yam R1, but I'm really glad I didn't in the end especially with the amount of cranks they have been snapping!

10. Had my 1299s since march only managed 3 track days only problem i had to bleed the clutch after been sat in the garage for weeks on end till the next track day common problem people say buy 1 you will love it

11. Had my 1299 for 3 yrs now, done 7500 miles on it including a week to France every year. Only issue I have had is a problem with the clutch caused by dirt getting in the switch meaning the quickshifter wouldn't work. Solved pretty easy and quickly by PH Crawley. Other than that no problems. Get the bike, you won't regret it.

12. Definitely QS. Mines just over 2K and it’s playing up. JHP said they couldn’t get a replacement until end of September/October. Intermittent failure on downshift first and now upshift started to do the same.

13. Was there a recall on the rear shock bolt for these?

14. Had my 1299s for 6 months and 1200 miles, a great bike and glad I got it.
    The only problem I have encountered has been the quick shifter not working and engine warning light switching on because of this. Ducati said it needed a new cable /switch harness at £200!!! I thought I would take a look before being separated from my cash. The up shot is that having warmed the switch unit up with a hair dryer it was possible to carefully dig out all the potting compound from around the PCB and shift switches (up and down). I cleaned the board and switches and then re-potted with epoxy resin and hay presto one working quick shifter for zero outlay. It seems that there must have been some dirt or moisture under the potting that was shorting the electronics out and confusing the system.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. My QS stopped at the weekend. EML on and flashing "sport" mode. Shat myself as just fitted full akra and rapid race module.

Turned engine on and off and the error disappeared and qs intermittently worked.

I've ordered a translogic unit now as I just find the dqs too unpredictable.

16. had my 1299S for nrly 2yrs. Only problem is the unit on the seat.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. I too gave up on the ducati q/s and bought a translogic unit, i also found it helped to lower the gear change lever to as low as possible but still enough room for it to go down and engage 1st who knows if id done this first i might have found the new ducati unit i purchased acceptable but i sure aint swapping it back over now!

18. Thanks for all the replies, this is arriving on the 1st Dec :).
    Now, what should I do with my 998 ??

28a3dd6dd6714d02b008d2808d9c4782.jpg

19. Burn the 998 u dont need that sort of junk back in your life

20. Ooooh, that's harsh, its been a great bike, no fancy electronics etc, I will be sad to see it go.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information