1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C*rs

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Apr 12, 2021.

1. All theory as no driving license (and little prospect of ever getting it returned) but I've pretty much decided against ever getting a car again (my last one was given back to the supplier) I just had a quick look at car hire. This is from Enterprise in Stroud (not very far) and I could get a new car for two weeks with no insurance, servicing, or even cleaning involved. Hiring looks quite tempting.
    upload_2021-4-12_15-13-42.png

2. I’m not understanding this Perry, you’re still going to need a driving licence to drive a hire car!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I think Perry is just considering it from a hypothetical view point. But essentially lease is much the same as hire. I personally like to own my things, but for some it works well.

4. Yes, I realise that I still need my license back, anyway. I am just considering that if I don't bother to buy a car then hiring will be easier and (possibly) cheaper for me. As I have bikes then I won't need use of a car that much and so I think that hiring might make sense.

I find the idea of giving a hire car back and then washing my hands of the whole thing quite attractive.

Just been talking to a neighbour who doesn't work now. They bought a new Daewoo in about 2016. Reckons it has cost him about 10k all in with deprivation. It only has done 30k miles. Shows me that owning a car is a waste of money - for me.

5. I bought a VW van, which I shall camper up soon. But, I really enjoy driving a van. Its a deisel but Eu6. Ive not driven our car since. I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. And my other plan of getting an electric bicycle still works for me. Then I don't need to worry about any DVLA crap and can just take the p1ss at my driving assessment. I could easily use it to get to Stroud and Dursley (my closest towns) and WWT Slimbridge where I used to go for coffee and food (feck all that bird watching crap!!!).

7. Respect that you like it, but that is my own personal nightmare!!!

8. Get one of those old folk motorised trolleys and shove a compact but powerful engine in it. I think you should be allowed to grow old disgracefully. Its what I am aiming to do as I age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. True. No driving license required!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Its to be a campervan, so we can go out and camp without crappy tents, see the countryside and have tame adventures. Its very easy to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Camping is my own personal nightmare. I have done it many times in the past. Never, ever again!

12. Well yeah if you buy it new, let some other mug take the “30% as soon as it’s out the door” hit on it. Personally I hate the idea of leasing, just seems like renting a house to me-Dead money!

13. Is there anything that ISN'T your own personal nightmare?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Stroud Brewery
    Monsoon Estates coffee
    Teapigs tea
    - simple

• Love You Love You x 1
  15. But they are subject to laws about maximum speeds they can do.

16. Not where I live. This part of Gloucestershire doesn't do laws - except when we had the first lockdown and I used to be passed by a police car driving very slowly every time that I went to the shops. Now that they have lost the respect from all sections of the public, they never show their face.

17. Yes, where you live. If you choose to ignore them, that's a different matter entirely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Belfast motorcycles rent bikes in n ireland to holiday makers etc i was talking to the owner and he has africa twins, it must be cheaper to hire for the odd weekend of use, no depreciation, maintanance, insurance ( he provides fully comp) or money tied up in the value of bike.

19. I am due a new car in a year or so and I've seriously been considering a van next instead as I'm spending 300 plus quid a month in hiring them plus paying for the car. Something like a VW or a Transit custom sport so I still keep many creature comforts, but I do like the VW's!

• Like Like x 2
  20. I love van life! Me and my sons had a spontaneous couple of nights away in our shed on wheels over the bank hol weekend. The water system was airlocked so we had to use bottles and the heating wasn't working properly so it was pretty mediaeval but roughing it is half the fun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information