1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C-spanner And Enormous Wheel Nut Socket.

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Mark_h, May 25, 2019.

1. Having learned my lesson that it is not sensible to travel long distances without your own 55mm socket under the saddle (no mr. Welsh tyre fitter, I do not want you to try and get my back wheel off with a set of stilsons) I have been looking for the right one to get.. I have seen rubbish ones and very expensive ones but wondered if people had recommendations for the best value socket and also c-spanner.

Are these two about right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55mm-30m...989720?hash=item2a65a5c758:g:2o8AAOSw4ahbFoGu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JMP-rear...ltistrada-1000-1100-1200-MH900e-/151904131400

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. Both look adequate to do the job, the sockets I use are made by Laser and work fine, not broken one yet

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. I destroyed a couple of the Laser Aluminium sockets, opted for the impact version which did the trick. The seller in the eBay link were pretty good to deal with, bought a few tools from them

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I bought that C spanner. Works just fine

5. I've been using a Laser impact socket for a few months now, day in day out and it's holding up very well. There are "technically" two sizes of C-spanner. The MTS 1200 (all bikes with 55mm nuts) are bigger than the early MTS (46mm nuts). Most of the time it's not a problem, but if the hub is tight, if you have the wrong size, it'll slip off. I'd be mindful and get the right one whilst you're spending the money.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cheers. Socket on its way now. Allegedly no motorcycle tyre fitter in the fun bits of Wales carries one of these according to the snap-on rep and the tyre supplier my fitter checked with. Certainly one to keep under the seat.

7. Thread moved

8. Snells (Alton) sell them (C Spanner) and the seem good so far.

9. +1 on the aluminium socket. With the torque required to loosen / fasten the rear wheel nut, far better to buy an impact version, I've heard of the aluminium ones rounding off and mine is going a little. :upyeah:

A C spanner is always a good idea. On a trip abroad last year I forgot mine and after 2,500 miles I was getting a bit of chain slap when I transitioned between on / off throttle which was annoying when trying to make smooth progress. I loosened the 2 hub clamp bolts on the swing arm and the hub knocked round quite freely by placing a screwdriver in the groove of the hub and tapping the top of it with the palm of my hand. o_O A bit bodger, I know and I'd always carry the correct tool if possible, but it's not the end of the world. :) :upyeah:

10. @Bumpkin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Nice thread resurrection :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thanks Ducbird, unfortunately of the ones mentioned on this thread they're either no longer available, of the double sided variety (won't work with my sprocket carrier due to clearance issues) or not specific about size (there are two sizes, I need the larger one). The only manufacturer I've found thus far that mentions this is Laser. Theirs does look a little on the short side though, maybe I need to strip, clean and lightly grease the hub...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information