1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Cycleworks Having A Hard Time.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by HairyWolfhound, May 24, 2017.

1. I don't know if this is old news or not. Copied from their Facebook.

Hi from California Cycleworks!

Just a note to thank you all for your patience while we worked out our timing belt supply chain. I would like to announce that as of today (March 24, 2017) we are fully back in stock and hopefully any shortages of belts in the future will be either nonexistent or at most a couple of days.

And speaking of belts, today we received some very disturbing news. It seems that Belt Drives Limited, who was our previous supplier, has taken copies of our belts and marketed them through Parts Unlimited. That's right. BDL took the years of time, effort, and research put into making a better after market belt for Ducati owners and simply stole the design and made some for themselves. And then has the audacity to charge you more for it than we do.

Yes, the belts are probably the same. We have Exact Fit belts. They have Tru-Fit Belts. The labeling looks just like ours, down to the color and font. BDL wants you to believe that you are buying our belts when in reality they are simply stealing your money.

They are the big guy and we are the little family run guy. I am all about free enterprise, otherwise I couldn't have opened and continued to run California Cycleworks through a recession and those lean winter months when nobody rides. The Exact Fit Timing Belts are a staple of our business. This theft is literally taking our business, taking food from the mouths of my family, and trying to put this 20 year old company out of business. And they did it because it was cheap and easy.

I believe where they made a mistake is in not realizing what a close knit community the Ducati folks are. They didn't know that in the end we take care of our own, and that everybody is working to make Ducatis work better and longer, and wants parts that are quality and made by folks that truly care about the bikes.

I would never tell you where to take your business. I simply want you to be aware that Belt Drives Limited has taken our product and tried to fool you and charge you more for the same product that I spent years working on.

Chris Kelley
    Owner and President
    California Cycleworks

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. I read that a few weeks ago, I hope Chris at California Cycleworks continue successfully, they will always have my custom regarding belts.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. All supply chain issues are now resolved apart from FWires and petrol tanks. CCW are currently bringing tank manufacture in house.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sounds like Belt Drives Limited aren't playing very nicely.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Chris Kelley is one of the good guys. When my SS dropped onto one cylinder (several years ago), he was really helpful with advising me how to troubleshoot and pinpoint the problem

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information