1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All Multistrada Track Day Junkies!

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by 1-3-2-4, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Did my first track day last weekend on my 2011 MTS1200. Far from my first track day, though I'm FAR from the fastest out there. Curious what everyone has done for their setups. I'm headed back in another 10 days and want to improve ground clearance.

My setup (200 lbs in gear):

1. Traxxion AK20s with 0.80 kg/mm springs. Good spring for road and track.
    2. Ohlins TTX w/ 100 Nmm spring. Little soft, will be upping the rate soon.
    3. Brembo M50 calipers w/ Galfer pads and stock rotors. Bullshit rotors.
    4. Dunlop GP-A Pros. The 190/60 rear necessitated removal of the mudguard due to rubbing while moving. Forget getting a tire warmer on there...
    5. Removed rear seat to get more room. This alone was an epiphany.
    6. Removed passenger peg brackets to get foot room. Running with the brackets was a no-no.
    7. Removed centerstand to get more foot room.

I destroyed a set of toe sliders. The wide bar and low pegs make it difficult to get in position and unless I'm really monkeying off the bike, the toes touch down right before the knee. Ground clearance sucked.

What's everyone using for higher pegs? Since there are no traditional rearsets, are people just using riser pegs? How about the shifter/brake lever? Looking for suggestions so I can get something on the bike ASAP.

2. Thread moved

3. I'm at croft tomorrow on my 15 DVT, really curious as to how the multi stacks up on track

4. A certain person on here is mid fast group on his Multistrada. Andy

5. I worked for Ducati last month on their DRE day doing demo rides on the 1260MS. It was the first time I'd ridden one in anger, and I was impressed by how capable it actually is for something that weighs about as a much as a sports car
    I'd say the biggest thing that slows them down for your track day is the screen. I reckon if you could remove that, and tuck in on the straights, you'd have a much quicker bike.
    After that, you're fighting with physics vs the sheer weight and the reduced footpeg clearence, but you'll have a lot of fun
    If you can adjust the suspension on yours, try and add a bit of preload, so you're working further up the stroke, as that will help with footpeg grinding, and maybe add a small amount of compression to stiffen it up a bit

6. Really well, with a few observations. The Multi is genuinely entertaining and capable on the track, its not as capable as a well ridden sports bike but that's to be expected. The limiting factors for me were the tyres, weight, centre of gravity and the suspension, although limiting does not equal crap just in comparison to a sports bike. In hindsight I should have put something other than PR4's on to make the most out of the day, they overheated and squirmed about a lot under power and were communicative but not inspiring on the track. To be fair they aren't a track tyre so not surprise.

Mine is a standard none S Multi so not sure if the S version would fair better for suspension, I suspect it would. my suspension is set up for fast road and it works really well, I added some turns but didn't make too much difference, I'm booked in for a suspension setup next week with six star tyres. Would appreciate anyone else's experience with standard model suspension set up for the track if anyone has any to offer?

finally I had my gopro on, I just need to work out how to trim an MP4 down and i'll put a link to a lap on.

7. here you go, youtube has knacked the video quality like

8. I have an s and use almost max preload rear to improve ground clearance and make it squat less. Plus dial up comp etc. But as it’s an s I had it set as Enduro mode so I simply press a button :)

They don’t like body movement at all. You have to be disciplined and be for way before the corner and brakes, as moving while on brakes (while fun) makes bike squirm a lot. And things like chicanes are better just sat upright ime as shifting weight ala sportbike mid turn throws the chassis into all sorts of shapes.

It’s a fun thing, that’s for sure :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm with you on the body movement, although it took me a couple of sessions to twig on. The movement to hang off really unsettles the bike, although as you say added to the fun.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information