1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camp Sites For Tt 2019

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by HyperMac, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Managed to secure some ferry tickets, but now need to find some camping. Any recommendations for where the best place is to try and secure a pitch ?
    No longer a drinker in any shape or form, so socially the location isn't a show stopper as such.
    Much appreciated for any assistance
    Cheers

2. I camped at the union mills football ground....no where near union mills :rolleyes: I would stop there again.Team showers, on site kitchen for a good breaky, coffee etc.

3. http://www.glendhoo.com/page2.html
    I stayed here last year, basic amenities but close to Douglas and right next to the course, there is access to get out when the racing is on.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  4. St johns football club at ballacraine.

I too am out of the beer induced late nights and this place suits. Quiet enough to sleep, not over crowded, good showers, hot meals brekkie & tea, bar at night and on the course but not trapped.

It's the only place I camp these days.

5. Why would you camp?!
    Last few years I've stopped in hotels on the sea front, about £30 a night with breakfast included!

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  6. First couple of times I went I was lucky enough to get hotel accommodation in Douglas, never been lucky enough since, when I tried to book for the following year they would only take two week bookings all others were booked up for years.

7. Thanks for replies folks.

8. I've not had a problem for the last 2 years, starting in practice week and going home 1/2 days into race week.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Camping was okay on my own..but when I went with the boss she only does hotels with hairdriers etc.

10. My wife is hardier than I am. She will last the camping better than I will I think :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I camped in Nobles Park for my first 4 years, but 7.5 wet days out of 10 in 1998 was the end of life in a tent for me at the TT. Homestay accommodation is an alternative to hotels. I found a good one in ‘99 and have stayed there every year since.

12. Stuff camping on the IOM, I'd rather not go than risk that it might actually be dry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Homestay is the way to go, have a look on the TT website as there is a forum for accommodation. Not the official Isle of Man site as they closed down the forum a couple of years ago, just type in TT Website.
    I’ve camped at Quarterbridge( Douglas Rugby Club) a few times which was ok apart from the toilets and showers!
    The last 7 years I have used the same homestay, once you have one you don’t let it go!
    Trouble with the Island is the weather is sooo unpredictable, this year was the best I’ve ever seen. I also remember ‘98! I rode home from Heysham and it pissed down all the way home(240 Miles!), I thought I was going to die!! No wet weather gear stupidly!
    In the past few years the wonderful Manx people have let washed away campers into their homes.

14. As you say when you have the accommodation you don't let it go, hence the difficulty for others. Not saying don.t try, just saying its not that simple. The biggest problem with accommodation is with timing, do you book the ferry and then try for digs when you have ferry times, or book digs and then hope you can get a ferry to match.
    Steve

15. Personally I'd look for digs first, as digs are harder to get than a crossing. A friend of mine (who camps there because he's tight) has never failed to get a suitable crossing due to someone cancelling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Can't disagree with that. We've homestayed and although I'm a people-hating misanthrope it's actually rather nice. After waking up in a tent that was about to begin its journey from Union Mills to the sea I reappraised things. :)

2018 was cracking and even in blazing heat and dry weather I was happy to wake up in a nice bed and have the offer of breakfast if I wanted it.

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I’m getting the “don’t go camping “ vibe coming through for some reason :confused:
    I’ll check out some homestays I guess.
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I would definitely look for accommodation first and use camping as a fall back if nothing turns up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. What's the chance now of getting a ferry ticket and somewhere to stay? I leave it late every year, but really fancy going (for real) this time.

I've also stayed at Union Mills camp site one year, saw the worst beer/curry bum explosion there, it actually closed down the toilet for a few hours while it was chiselled off the walls. Hope whoever left it made it through it ok.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information