1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camping Gear Recommendations

Discussion in 'Touring' started by HyperMac, May 17, 2017.

1. Hi folks,
    Looking for some advice for planning ahead and going touring and camping with my Multistrada ( ah, and the missus would be coming as well :) ). I've not been a big camping person over the years , but feel it's that point in life that I should give it a go.
    So therein is the question. What tent should I buy ? What other gear will I need without going over the top ? Etc etc. It all seems such a mine field of choice out there and I don;t want to be going overboard on stuff i really don't need. I am starting off from scratch so a lot to consider.
    The Multi has standard panniers and top box , so there is not a huge amount of space to be getting on with for packing, so again any advice will be much appreciated.

We would initially be looking at starting off in the UK , doing a few trips to get the hang of it and then trying to go further a field if it's successful. So I don't mind spending on quality stuff that will last a while. I think through the years I am steadily learning the old adage "buy cheap buy twice", and also if things are too uncomfortable with cheap make do stuff then it will probably put us off camping ever again !
    Thanks in advance for any info from you experienced travellers out there

2. We used the Khyam biker 2/3 man, Good tent and Quick to erect (Oooh Matron) I wouldn't say there a light tent @ 6.8 kg but the poles are hinged into the top sheet so there's no fannying about trying to slot a carp rod together in the middle of a wet field while the Mrs is whinging about wanting a f@@kin brew.
    And for the sleeping bag we had 2 Snugpak season 4, comfy bag for over here in the UK plus they packed down enough to get in our bags and some self inflating mats underneath, cooking we had a Coleman petrol stove We was riding a VT750 with hard bags at the time,but we managed,One tip is, wrap any clothing in a bin bag even if its going in the boxes nothing worse than putting wet gear on ,

#2 Rick B, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  3. You want the best matress you can afford; thermarest neoair dream. Is the bees-knees!

I've got this tent (got a few actually) which can house 1 big bike & sleep two adults.
    http://newatlas.com/series-ii-expedition-tent/26124/

Buy a kellykettle for having fast cuppa's (you must use water whenever using kettle) & using local burnable materials for cooking sessions.
    https://www.kellykettle.com/
    As for sleeping bags & other utensils its a matter of how long you are planning on staying on the camp site. How many times you are going to use gear.

#3 GunZenBomZ, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I enjoy wild-camping when out in europe, setting up after sunset. Having located a quiet spot before night fall. Even gathered some wood for a 20minute food&drink cooking sessions in the day-time too. Then usually off a path or dirt track, stow the bike (usually not in tent) as I'd probably be using just a bivy-bag for one-man solo riding. The main thing when contemplating or doing this is leave no litter. Have plenty of plastic bags to place used food packaging into & get rid of them at garages or bins you find.

But the advantage of having a big tent is that you have a dry bike to start the morning off & can be assured that nothing has been tampered with. Now the heady heights of human bowel movements. If you really need to have shit; take a garden trowel or british army folding spade. Make a pit or hole & do your business & fill it in.

5. The main focus has to be on comfort, as in sleeping well, staying dry, and being warm.
    Everything else can be worked around, but a lack of any of those 3 ruins the experience.

I've done hundreds of camping trips, some on Bikes, in the car with my family, and actually on remote beaches by boat.
    It's great fun but you have to be comfortable.

Saying that, we take it to the extreme each summer with several other families all having the same sort of set up.
    I don't think I'd get it all on the back of the bike!

Nasher.
    Camp.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Christ,, Do you know Sir Phillip Green ;)

7. If I did we'd be 'Camping' on the yacht!

Seriously, we plug into the caravan electrics, have a full size fridge, proper lighting, fan heater etc. Mrs Nasher is happy, so are the teenagers. For two weeks you have to do it.
    We also set up proper beds with Duvets etc.
    It helps that the boat is a huge camping trailer on the way there and back.

None of which helps Hypermac - Sorry, I'll shut up.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
  8. I agree with Nasher, get the basics right and you will enjoy yourself and want to go again even though there's lots of small things you'll find you've forgotten. You can fine-tune the details with each trip.

The things that matter are your accommodation - your tent.
    Your sleeping comfort - bags and mattresses.
    Resting and relaxing - putting your feet up and having a bite to eat or a cup of something.

Tent choice matters on a bike. It needs to be robust and totally weatherproof because there's no car to retreat to when the water's coming in. Buy one with a head rating (how water-proof it is) of at least 3000 mm, preferably 5000 mmm.
    It needs to be light and it needs to be spacious to accommodate all the gear and allow you to get dressed in bulky and awkward clothing. Aluminium poles are much lighter than fibreglass. But they cost more and they bend if you tread on them. You need a living area/porch to sit in/ get dressed in and to store your wet gear.
    Ideally two-man camping means two bikes to share the load. Then you can carry a much better tent split into two packs between the bikes. Rick B's 6.8 kg tent is pretty light. Mine is 9 kg but then I don't have a pillion.
    You need more interior space for biking. It needs to take all your gear, (and maybe even the bike) and you may have to while away wet weather inside it. For solo riders buy a minimum of a two berth, preferably a three. For two of you, minimum of a three berth, preferably a four. You don't need to stand upright but you don't want to be trying to wriggle into heavy biking gear lying on your back.
    I use a three-man Vango Omega 350 just for myself. Ample room, weatherproof and inexpensive but spend more to go lighter and more compact - more important two-up. I'm not fussed about putting the bike inside. I'd rather take a light bike cover and leave it outside. All great suggestions for tents above.
    A really useful thing if you can squeeze it in is a footprint groundsheet. It protects the built in groundsheet from puncturing and keeps it clean. Very useful too if you porch area hasn't got a sewn-in groundsheet.

Sleeping arrangements. Don't skimp. Personally I don't think its worth a couple trying to create a double bed in a tent. It might to romantic and homely but its impractical. Zip-together bags are generally bulky and less warm than snug bags and double air-beds are a pain. When one person gets up in the night they usually bounce their partner awake as well.
    Don't assume you'll will get away with a compact two-season bag in the UK just because its August. Anywhere in the UK can get down to single figures at night and that's plenty cold enough in a tent to set your teeth chattering. Get a three-season. The more you spend the warmer and more compact it will be. If you find you've bought one that's too cold a silk liner can really help and packs down to the size of a tennis ball. Really like the look of Mac's Selkbag.
    75 mm thick airbeds can be perfectly comfortable but cheap ones with a cheap sleeping bag are like sleeping on a skating rink. If you're sliding off your bed every time you move, its hateful. Inflatable pillows are your friend.

An invaluable accessory is a camp chair. Might to tricky carrying one each on a single bike but if you can manage it, not having to sit on the ground makes all the difference.
    I've got one of these: http://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Robens-Pathfinder-Chair-2017/m-17483.aspx
    Its incredibly compact and light and exceptionally comfortable. The back might be a touch low if you're over 6' but its fine for me at 5'11". I thought the smallish foot-pads might be a bit hazardous on a groundsheet but actually they're fine.
    And get a stove. If nothing else you need to be able to boil water for a drink. I use one of these with a compact billy set and my ally panniers as a camp table: http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/1...Wp7QoddxALpA?gclid=CM6RgbHR99MCFZWp7QoddxALpA
    DSC00740.JPG

#9 Gimlet, May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  9. Thanks to everyone for your contribution and information. Its only way to do it by getting advice from people who have been there , seen it , and done it. Your time taken to reply is very much appreciated.
    Of course next part is just as crucial in the packing and loading department for the bike. Keep heavier stuff lower of course , but if anyone has any other wee tips that you have found through experience be great to hear.
    Cheers again folks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information