1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help with my car

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 14990, Jun 30, 2012.

1. I have an R reg Peugeot 106 1,100cc petrol. For a month or so it has been showing signs of the coil getting bad (hesitancy on the throttle) so I replaced all 4 plugs, hoping this may help the problem. Anyhow yesterday when I left work the car wouldn't start.

It had plenty of power in the battery, the fuel pump primed itself, the starter motor kicks in as it should but won't start. It did however bump start. When pulling up to a junction, clutch in, revs fall and then the engine cuts out. Then it must be bumped again. Whilst driving it runs as normal.

So today I've just replaced the coil thinking it was the problem. I was also getting no spark from the plugs so I thought the new coil would solve the issue.

Sadly this is not the case, we still have a non starter. I haven't checked to see if it's sparking yet but it's doing exactly what it was before so I assume not.

Has anybody heard of this before, know of any solutions or have Amy ideas of where to go next?

Many thanks in advance

Oli

2. could be so many things of course but under routine checking, have you inspected king lead from coil to distributor for breaking down and ditto for tracking inside dist cap (again,if it has one). another hunch on the few symptoms you have but you could also check all battery heavy duty leads (all earthing and live routes) for high resistance/corrosion at connections. Even if cranking speed is normal at start up, even battery leads connectors can go high resistance after a period of running to the point of affecting all circuits. One easy check is to feel each junction for excessive heat.

3. It could be a fuel problem.A dirty carb could give the problems you are having.

4. I've delved a little deeper now, there's still no spark and the fuel pump is working fine. I am beginning to think it must be an immobiliser issue as everything is there to allow the engine to start yet it's not sparking.

5. Check the crank position sensor on the front of the gearbox. If its fubarred,it wont spark.
    Common fault with Saxo's/106's, about £15 to replace.

I have changed these on both my sons Saxo's, same symptoms.....

Failing that, clean the MAP sensor and ICV on the inlet manifold, Both will aid non starting/poor running.

Good luck

#6 srad34, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  6. petrol-can.jpg

+

220px-Zippo-Slim-1968-Lit.jpg

petrol-can.jpg

220px-Zippo-Slim-1968-Lit.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. The crank position sensor was the winning ticket. She's running again now, thanks for the help people.

8. Tidy, you are welcome chap....:upyeah:

(I always have a spare one too, you never know when you need one!)

9. I ended up paying £25, but still its better than anything else more major. Easy fix too.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information