1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Can Anyone Recommend A Specific Extended Warranty Product?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tiktokrick, Oct 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone,

I pick up my (new to me) 2014 1200S GT on Saturday from my local Ducati dealer (Laguna Ashford) and wanted to ask if anyone has experience of extended warranty programmes. Which ones are 'better' and are they worth it?

The bike has 16000 miles, FDSH and one previous owner (who bought it from Laguna).

The sales guy offered me an extended warranty package, but it was priced around £500 for 2 years of cover, he also didn't push it very hard.

Can anyone tell me if they took out an extended warranty when they bought an approved used bike and if so which one?

2. I'd say £500 for 2 years is very good, provided there aren't major parts of the bike excluded.
    I had a 1 year aftermarket warranty with Warranty Direct in 2012 for about £400 when my 2010 Multi passed 2 years old. I had to use it too, and they settled the repair bill for just over £400 if memory serves.
    I asked for a quote on my 2015 Multi last year but they wanted a lot more than £400 so I've gone solo this time.

3. I bought my bike (ex demo) from Ducati Peterborough earlier this year and they supplied the WMS Safe and Sound Ultimate 12 months extended warranty for £140, though this may have been a discounted price as part of the deal - can't quite remember the details. I just hope I don't have to use it!

4. To put that £500 in perspective, I’ve just paid £899 for a 2 year Ducati EverRed extended warranty. Andy

5. If you believe the Help me threads in the multi 12 section then an extended warranty would make sense but sometimes it's a very simple thing

Perhaps a poll with a few questions such as, do you have an extended warranty on your strada and, have you ever had to use your extended warranty. ?

6. Yes, and not yet :upyeah:

7. I have had my Multi a few weeks now, very happy with it.

Regarding the warranty, the bike came with a 12month Warranty from Ducati. The sales guy informed me that this was a relatively new thing. It covers parts, but not labour charges. I can purchase an extended warranty product (12 months plus) at any time.

8. If that's true then that is a very new option. Normally this was only available on new bikes and had to be bought almost as soon as you bought the bike.

Perhaps it's an aftermarket warranty product from another supplier.

9. It is true :) it (apparently) started in August.

The underwriter won’t be Ducati, but it’s a “Ducati product”.

http://approved.ducati.com/en_gb/

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. It gives people buying a used Ducati more confidence, but I'm not sure I saw an option to extend it further once the first year is up?

The wording is very confusing, it starts off saying parts and labour are included, then parts and associated labour, then a proportion of the costs depending on milage...? Also don't go over 30,000 miles (or 6 years)

"When choosing a Ducati Approved motorcycle, you choose the certainty of having Ducati always at your side. The insurance policy included in the programme covers the bike for 12 months. Costs of materials and labour will be covered by your dealer without any advance payment on your part. Only starting from a total mileage of up to 30.000 miles, and only for the costs related to materials, the fee will be refunded partially, in proportion to the mileage at the time of the failure."

11. Just

12. Just buying my second Ducati have a v2 getting rid of my X-ray too painful vibes
    2018 ms 1260s loved it and preferred over v4s done 5700 miles from Ducati Aylesbury prev owner prob on this forum duc Aly only give 3 months 1000 mile warranty offered 299 one year was warranty or 550 2 years thoughts yes or no

13. Damn this is a thread resurrection from the dim and distant past!

There has been a huge change around in the Ducati warranties since this was first posted. I suggest it’s better to start off a new thread.

All new bikes come with a 4 year warranty now. I only had a the 2 year Ducati and the 2 year extension was purchased at the time I bought my 1260

Given the issues that can sometimes occur and the cost of parts and labour I would say an extended warranty was a very sensible purchase.

14. Though that's on a new bike but also is effectively an extension of the factory warranty. Also gives, as far as I understand the extras with things like the Ducati roadside assistance and recovery too.

15. All the roadside assistance is pointless like my cover with bemoto if you have aa or rac membership most banks now offered free aa rac cover eg Halifax NatWest they are better offering that as add on and dare I say it reducing costs
    Interesting Ducati warranty only covers parts labour at 84&vat is 4 times what I earn an hour as a doctor time to give up catching covid & become a mechanic

16. I bought a 2019 1260 PP at 6 months old with 500 miles on it and asked about extended warranty at the dealer (as opposed to the 2 year standard on the bike). Was told if I wanted to extend the warranty it had to be done when bought new (which I was too late for), or take out a product, that Ducati were planning, when the bike came up to two years old. The two years came up this Jan but I was told that still no Ducati extended warranty product was available yet for a used bike. Was offered WMS for £380 per year which is apparently a sound product but the claims are limited to £1000 for each claim. I reckoned paying £380 for a max of £1.000 cover per claim was a bad deal so went solo. Hope I’m not tempting fate by posting this!

17. I think that has to be bought when you buy the approved bike....? That’s what I was told.

18. “Just” being used to describe “that moment in time” and not to be confused with “only” or any other definition :D Andy

19. In the US, we only get 2 years of factory warranty; I bought the 5-year extension through the partnership with Aegis as part of my bike purchase.

20. Current bike: 12017 1200 Enduro, bought two years ago as an ex-demo with 600 miles on the clock. Owned it just over two years and put 16,000 miles on it. The fuel sensor and heated grips have failed, so I guess that would be £250-300 to sort.

Previous Multi was a 2013 1200S that was also an ex-demo that I bought with around 1000 miles on the clock, and I put another 9000 on in the course of a year or so. I had three fuel sensors and a Skyhook sensor all fail in that time. The Skyhook sensor I ended up having to pay for myself (I think the bike was just outside of the 12 month warranty I got with the bike), and that was about £200 to fix. In that instance, the warranty for the fuel sensors alone would have been £100 each time (based on what I've just paid to get mine replaced on the Enduro).

That said, between the two I had a 2016 Monster 1200S which I kept for two years and put about 10k on it, and literally nothing went wrong with it aside from the battery when it was delivered to me (the bike was new). Much less complex bike of course.

I don't currently have a warranty, so I'm working on the basis that if it was going to go wrong it probably already would have. I'll likely keep it another couple of years, at which point I may end up having to decide if it's still reliable enough to keep, or time to trade it for something much younger. For me, a warranty is always worth it for the peace of mind, and hassle-free ownership. Currently I think it's fair to say I feel more confident about the longevity and reliability of my 16 year old Mercedes, but time will tell!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information