1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Can It Be 'fixed'?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Phill748, Apr 11, 2018.

1. I've owned a 848 Evo and a 899, and I struggled with my 848. The 899 I liked a lot more to ride but occasionally got frustrated with lack of low down grunt and the fact it doesn't feel quite as special. I know the Dyno charts say the 899 is more powerful, but I know I'm not the only one who just feels like the 848 somehow had a more direct and grunty feel.

Anyway, I'm looking at maybe spending £7k on a bike, 899's are more like £9k for a clean one so was wondering if I can get an 848 Evo and fix some of the things that bugged me so much about mine, the main one being the suspension.

My question is, has anyone managed to get there 848 to a stage where it's compliant and 'plush' on the road rather than bone jarring? I just found that no adjustment or even changing to the 1098 Ohlins made no difference. Is it really just about spring rates or do I need to consider completely gutting the standard suspension and replacing the rear shock?

My over riding feeling of my 848 was that it just seemed to understeer so much and be heavy to steer, not sure if it was suspension that made it that bad or maybe I was unlucky and the dealer screwed up and fitted the swingarm hub in the wrong position when they changed the sprocket which made the rear ride height wrong?

I'm just not sure if I'll end up with a bike that I'm still not confident and happy on like I was the 899 and yet I'll have thrown money at it trying to 'fix' it.

2. Just go and have a go on a streetfighter, a few hours and you will be reborn, I am sure that @Robarano can throw up a few convincing pictures, he hardly ever posts any pics of his sf so he might be grateful for the opportunity, more comfy to ride then a 848 and a lot more pleasing to the eye:innocent::innocent::innocent:

3. I don't think I want a Streetfighter tbh, I just don't really want a naked bike. I probably should have said I'm fully prepared to accept the compromises that come with sportsbikes, it's just that I want 899 handling and comfort with 848 looks and engine really, probably an impossible task...

4. It says something that the 848 held some Tri Options track lap records throughout the 899 era. If you look at the rolling chassis specs for both bikes, it’ll give you an idea of where you should focus your attention on. The only real challenge will be if the overall wheel bases are substantially different. There really is no substitute for suspension set up and the cost of an aftermarket update is well worth it. IMO, a cartridge set for the forks (Ohlins, Ktech, Mupo whatever), a better rear shock (Nitron, Ktech whatever) and an adjustable suspension link is the minimum you should consider. Turn in can be improved by getting the front to rear ride height right and something as simple as tyre profile which the race boys can advise on. Budgeting say £2k on the purchase price should hopefully give you the adjustability. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. o_O Must resist! :cold_sweat:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. I have had a similar issue and the main things I have changed for ride, taking plenty of advice from this forum are -

• 14t front sprocket, termi slip ons, O2 sensors removed and exhaust servo removed.
    • ECU remap by Chris on here
    • Upgrade to Ohlins TTX rear shock with correct spring rate for myself (lower than standard)
    • Adjustable ride height adjuster

All the above have made it much more of a joy to ride, much smoother power, especially in towns, the bike doesnt want to throw me off it at every bump or turn now either. I still have to go and get the suspension properly setup in the spring somewhere, but already without that and just a basic setup its 100% better.

7. Don't hold back, just photo shop a Austin race on yours, would look awesome me thinks, just a bit too loud maybe

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. @Phill748

£7k for a bike and then the suspension money, why don't you got for an 1198? Same shape, and i've never heard anyone complain about the handling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks, useful advise. The one thing I didn't do was get the adjustable shock link, I knew I should at the time but I got a bit disheartened with the bike and sold it. This time though my mindset is a little different as I've spent a long time riding a 748r recently and enjoyed the experience because I treated it as a 'classic'. This is what I would be doing with the 848, and I've now got a 250 2 stroke to ride and access to a Triumph Thruxton.

I kinda figure if I spend £7k on a clean one and in a couple of years I still haven't got on with it, I don't think they are going to drop much further as they get rarer judging by the values of 748's etc.

10. It's a consideration of course, because they aren't loads more and I would get Ohlins and the lightweight wheels.

11. Have a go on my 1198 its lovely on the road or on track.

12. That would be on the S, but worth looking around for one. @cookster has a nice white one (with the S wheels) he may or may not sell.

See, that's him above!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'll have a look more seriously in a month or so once I get my Bonus letter (hopes!) my only fear with the 1198 was that the engine would be more chuggy, but I'll try to get hold of one to ride. I also realise some never had an issue with the 848 so maybe I'm hard to please hehe

14. Nothing wrong with the 1198 engine, mines been mapped as well so nice and smooth.

15. Have you still got the TTX on the rear? @cookster

16. @bettes yes mate all serviced as well, and a few other nice bits on there now too. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. pictures, so we can all enjoy:):):)

• Like Like x 1
  18. My 848 showed me how good handling could be on a bike. A properly confidence inspiring front end that you could just bury into corners. Only downside was my poor wrists.

19. Get an 1198

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. 20171228_174102.jpg 20171228_174018.jpg 20171228_174003.jpg 20171228_173935.jpg 20171228_173923.jpg

• Like Like x 11
Do Not Sell My Personal Information