1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Someone Help With Advice On A Electric Motor Off A Circular Saw Table Please

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by NOODS X, Nov 18, 2019.

1. If someone could help please..

I was given ‘this electric motor by the Wife of a late friend of mine.. I know it worked recently, it was used to power his table saw.. I would like to use it for the same use but, unfortunately his brother cleared my friends workshop etc and just took the cable out and threw away a switch of some kind that starts it..

So I’ve a German motor with no plate on it we know it’s a good runner but have no idea what to wire it too.

he was running it off 230 volt household supply but when we tried it it tripped the electrics on the house.. So I’m guessing I need some kind of relay or switch to cope with the power of the motor on initial start up...

Can you help please .. cables appear to be 2.4 mm ish thick and it’s twin and earth..

78A2FFEA-2572-44C8-984A-A5DAB02F4AB8.jpeg F4FAE02D-8AFF-4AD6-A5B6-BB0B8F206560.jpeg BB35A7B3-BB13-4CE0-B00E-AD0E9CC2C932.jpeg

X NOODS

2. I would guess that it's not 240v so there would of been something reducing the voltage, he said with no idea of what he is talking about!

• Love You Love You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 110v?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. was he running it through a transformer?

Not one of these [​IMG]

but one of these

[​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. No mte deff not...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. It might be tripping out because of that component/capacitor being faulty.

7. Have you got the make and model of the saw table?

8. When you tried to run the motor and "...tripped the electrics in the house...", was it an RCD or an MCB/fuse that went?

9. Unfortunately no ... I know it was old that’s all but he was always using it .. it took a 300 mm blade which I’ve got.. I messaged his bro in law a little while ago and he said the wiring went into a push start push stop switch which was mounted on the bench leg, he now wishes he had kept it, as do I .. x

10. Sadly no mte as the B in Law decided to ditch that but kept back the motor, he did say that he just before breaking it up for scrap started it and it ran fine.. pity he didn’t think I might like it before he trashed it... but hey x

11. No fuses actually blew mte it simply tripped at the mcb board which is in the kitchen and from that my workshop is powered via armoured cable.. I unplugged the electric motor switched the trip on and all was fine again with my electrics, hence I knew it was the motor which must have been drawing initially at least too much current..

12. The initial current surge through an inductive load, such as a motor, can be quite high which would trip a standard circuit breaker. You can get circuit breakers that are designed to handle this short load but I would suggest getting a qualified electricial to loook into this possibility

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. @Stevie Tea has got it right. You need a C rated mcb to deal with the startup current. Had to do the same for air compressor in my workshop. This is all assuming the motor is sound and of the 240VAC variety.
    Get a qualified electrician to deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. All our saws and most of the industrial stuff i own has a 2 stage start up switch so the blade doesn't start instantly, that screws the belts and pulleys not easy to find the rite switch ! Do you have picture of the machine ?

15. That makes sense because my compressor sometimes used to trip the workshop mcb board trip when it initially fired up especially at winter time

16. Just the motor unfortunately mte

17. Trouble is, the saw motor has no load on it at start up. It isnt running a compressor, conveyor or machinery.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Have to disagree with the no-load thing - the motor's rotor will have a high-enough rotational inertia of its own to accelerate, so is very able to draw high current at start-up without additional load.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information