1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can You Please Recommend A Good Bike Chain & Lock

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Jet Black, Sep 10, 2021.

1. I was hunting through my garage the other day to try and find my old Oxford Monster , but sadly can't find it :-(

So will now have to purchase another chain and lock. It will be used in the garage through a ground anchor . Can anyone recommend a great quality lock and chain , preferably sold secure rating. The Oxford Monster XL caught my eye, but anything you could recommend would be appreciated.

cheers

2. Oxford, been using them for years, tough as old chains...

However, bear this in mind.

Noting the contents of my garage there is everything present to service a bike, also grinders, saws, bolt cutters etc I would imagine you're probably in the same boat.

Even though I still lock all my bikes by force of habit, if any bawbag got in, there is everything present to cut a chain in minutes.

I never carry a chain when out, whats the point? If they want your bike, especially with the advent of cordless cutters/grinders, they can get it in minutes. I wince when I see riders with a 5kg chain and padlock round their torso; I'd be more worried about having a prang and getting injured by it than the bike being nicked. Me falling off is a higher probability than theft, by some way!

They are a minor deterrent at best. If a skull is hell bent on nicking your baby there isn't much you can do about it. If they have had the balls to break into your house to get at it a chain won't stop them, just slow them down!

If you are going to get one and log it on your insurance as a certified security device get ones that "Sold Secure" and "thatcham Approved", you know how these companies can beat you with the small print if you declare it and then not use it; "Computer Says NO!" Nae money!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Thread moved

4. I have several of these, https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/security/cable_locks/revolver_18m_silver/, ideal for a single sided swing arm but fits our Scrambler Icon. Andy

5. True that. When insuring my Multistrada the broker advised that the first two security devices are all that count, a long list just gives them reason to not pay out in the event of a claim if they can prove that one wasn't in use (quite difficult to prove I suppose....). He said what do you have in the way of security and I gave him a list. The tracker and the factory immobiliser were on his list and as these are always activated on turning the ignition off I feel that I'm covered under the terms of the policy. New insurers since and the same has applied. That doesn't mean to say that I don't also use other physical devices such as decent sold secure lock and chain, alarm, roadlock etc. for my own peace of mind.

6. I'd invest in garage locks more than just a chain.

I park my Saab right up to the door. Good luck moving that without a key.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I have an Abloy PL362 with a Pewag 14mm chain. Very heavy and only use it if I'm off somewhere and take the topbox. 20210910_100725.jpg

8. As already mentioned with portable grinders etc unless it’s a top top chain it’s easily dealt with. So I have a Roadlok disc lock which is very handy as it’s always attached to the bike, saves carrying a chain around as it’s the second security device I mention for insurance purposes after the Ducati ignition security system. If you mention using a chain to insurers then you have to carry and use the chain for cover, very inconvenient and potentially damaging offering little protection against a determined thief.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. i was just reading about the oxford beast - wow what a bit of kit

10. Pah!
    Any chain will fall foul of a disc cutter, but some last longer than others.

Pragmatism and Squire from here.
    LINKY and LINKY
    Can’t get better. I’ve got several.

And their Double Doofer anchor is able to be repositioned if you need to change it’s location.

7CC06FFC-F358-4D44-8BB3-744A67F99281.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. many thanks

12. Most of the common chains are shit. Can be cropped in seconds and the padlocks are pony.

If you’re going to do it. Get an Almax.

• Like Like x 2
  13. But remember, if you declare the chain as a security device to your insurer then you will have to ride around with that chain and use it every time you stop. If it get nicked unchained the insurance will be invalid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Not really for garages...but I can massively recommend the Abus Granit Sledg 77 disk lock for out and about security. Saw a video of a guy taking around three minutes to cut it off with a grinder...quicker just to cut the disk!

Just remember to lock the back wheel NOT the front. You can also buy a carrier to fit to your frame so it is secured whilst moving..

G

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. As said - Almax or Pragmasis

I have 3 Pragmasis Chains in the Garage cupboard (19mm) and 1 17mm and 1 13mm

I use Abloy Locks 362 or the Squire SS50S?

They weigh a lot - but for Garage security cant be beat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Also the Torq Anchor from Pragmasis and their Anti Pinch Pin

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Have 23mm Pragmasis chain and squire lock too. Needs a chuffing winch to lift it up. For home security the bigger chain thickness you can get the better.

18. And don’t leave your angle grinders etc on view

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 16-19mm Almax or Pragmasis + ground anchor. Also as previously mentioned, good to have strong doors.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information