1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Can't Find Your Side Stand - Simple Fix

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by PeteKeys, May 6, 2016.

1. 800 miles in love the bike : i just can't ever find the sidestand!!

I've done this
    4.5mm diameter hole tapped for m5 thread
    M5 stainless bolt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It works great. Now when I turn up on my supercool bike I won't have any uncool not finding the side stand issue .

Now I've done it I may lathe up a little part so it looks the job rather than looking like a bolt.

• Like Like x 2
  2. that's certainly different. Can you not just slide your toe around the back of the peg like everyone else ?

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Nice idea, but you've added a significant stress concentration point on a heavily loaded item. I can't think of anything less cool than a side stand that cracks as you swagger away, leaving you looking slightly uncool:tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Good idea but I'd be worried about not getting it right, snagging my trousers on the bolt, and toppling over. I have nearly done this myself on other bikes and witnessed somebody else do it.

5. My thoughts nearly exactly. Could be worse the nearer to the pivot it was installed as the bending moment increases however the section also increases so the net stress effect may be less...

6. No offence met but I really don't think that's a good move in a cast stand like that... Especially when all you need to do is put your foot from behind the foot peg and it's easy to get to the stand, try it and you will be shocked u didn't notice it before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. All thoughts noted
    - I had considered the stress and it may be a factor. I took the stand off and think its chunky enough at that point. I actually turn the bike by pivoting on the side stand every time I have to turn it in my drive way to go out .. if anything is going to break it its that ... I'll post if it does :)
    - The toe thing from behind the footrest. It does work .. but still find it really tricky and don't get it every time.. and when you miss ..aaah. Maybe cause I'm short. Several time in the dark when I've been tired I just haven't found it.

8. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist :rolleyes:

I just flip up the footpeg slightly with my heel, catch the stand with the boot heel and down it comes, no probs?? wouldn't dream of drilling a hole in the side stand :Nailbiting:

9. When I had my 899 I couldn't get the stand down no matter what method I used.
    It was fine with trainers or shoes but with the clumpy Alpinestars GP Pro boots you couldn't get your foot around the back of the peg.
    Had to use my hand but you needed arms like a gibbon to reach it !

10. I seem to have stumbled on a thread for Hobbits that love Ducatis.

How small are you people? @iang27, buying clothes must be tough.... your legs are too short to reach the side stand, but your arms are long enough to reach down?!?! :laughing::sweatsmile:

Perhaps this is the answer:

image.jpeg

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. With me,the boots, especially the heels, made it impossible to get to the stand. You could get your toe under the footrest from the rear but there was no way you could flick it down.
    This was just when wearing the Alpinestars, no problem with shoes or trainers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just a suggestion ... how about wrapping a clip around the stand leg so that there is something to attach a little toe-peg to, without having to drill, modify or weaken the stand itself in any way?

13. I struggled with the stand on my 899 initially, but practice makes perfect and I can do it without thinking now

14. Just a few years later ... look what DUCATI did to the new V4 ;-)
    Part Number #12: 83210742a
    @PeteKeys is your side stand still ok or did it crack ?!
    Screenshot_20200325-080735_Chrome.jpg
    Left: original DUCATI part / Right: modification
    AE-74019_1.jpg

#14 keule85, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. @keule85 it has stayed in perfect despite the doubters :) 15k miles and every day I use it I lift it 100% on to the side stand to spin it round to get it out of the garage (which people also think will break the stand)

• Like Like x 1
  16. @PeteKeys Haters gonna hate - makers gonna make ;-)
    I ordered that part and will mount it to my 899 Panigale side stand.
    I'm just struggeling w/ the perfect position where to place it on the side stand ?

17. Pleased it worked for you.

From a personal POV I have no issues catching the stand with my toe on the V2 (and 959 and 899 before that). In fact I find it easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. must admit that I've got used to doing that too now :) it just seamed really weird when I bought my first Ducati/1299

19. I think it did for me for a handful of times......as on previous bikes I’d been able to use my heel. But I soon got used to using my toe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Can you guys post a pic on how you use your boot ? I do it w/ the heel and it fu**s me up every single time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information