1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Horn Language

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jul 26, 2021.

1. I am interested to learn "Car Horn". Does anyone know where there is an on-line guide - especially with a west country accent?

It is used extensively around here and I don't understand it. A double-beep could mean, "Hello" or "Goodbye", or "I am waiting outside to pick you up!". I assume that a repeated triple beep means, "Fecking 'ell! I am still waiting! Get a move on!" I think that a very slight beep means, "Goodbye" but I think that I need more guidance. I do talk to my neighbours and when/if I ever get a car, I want to join in. Anyone know where the guide is, coz I am missing out?

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Just hazarding a guess Perry, but was this train of thought inspired by the Domino advert perchance? I can’t wait for you to get onto discussing “Bird” as do find that fascinating.

3. My horn just says 'get a fucking move on you dithering twerp'. Occassionally it will say 'hi' (short toot)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. One of my pet hates along with leaving your vehicle idling whilst you go about your daily routine. Use of vehicle audible warning is covered by HC rule 112. According to a FoI request, the Met have prosecuted less than 10 motorists a year for the last 5 or 6 years for incorrect use of their horn. I blame Father Christmas, the toys he brings at Christmas clearly don't keep people entertained all year round so they find something else to play with. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Otherwise known as the ‘WhatsApp’ gap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I teach the doppler effect for kids on bridges over motorways doing the honking sign. A quick beep then long continious blast on my HGV air-horns.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Although not relevant to this post, when are motorcycle manufacturers going to fit a horn that can be heard over the exhaust.
    A £10k plus bike should be fitted with Denali sound bombs, bulk buying power of manufacturers would keep the costs down, this should have little or no effect on the build cost.
    On more than one occasion have sound bombs saved my arse from dim drivers who don’t use mirrors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Here you sit on the pavement revving your extremely loud car exhaust to tell people you have arrived
    Other than that it’s a toooooooot I’m here and toot toot when leaving especially at 12am :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bike horns! I usually just end up putting my indicator on by accident instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I can remember and recognise the friendly "tooot" for hello/goodbye but it feels like we are on outskirts/part of greater London where I am now, so nearly always used in anger these days. Very rarely use on car but sometimes same as Bootsam on a motorbike.

11. Anyone else shout in there helmet :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. horn on my van gets used a lot , especially during the summer tooting at wimmin :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The OEM horns on both my Supersport 939 and my Scrambler Classic made about as much noise as a wasp in jam jar.

14. I know they make the worst of drivers cookie, glad you’ve pointed out this trait……

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. you know me mate, here to help :upyeah::upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. And soon to be illegal I understand.

Nasher.

17. Already illegal in that there London town. Andy

18. My kids claim that they’ve never been on a journey with me where I’ve not used the horn at least once. But that was mostly in London until about 18 months ago where driving like an utterly inconsiderate bellend is so common it must be a location-specific requirement of the test.

19. Hopefully my Daughter passes her driving test sharpish before it’s illegal to drive for her.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. West Country, tight narrow lanes with high hedgerow, a little toot on every bend, a tip I picked up in Sri Lanka, stops the locals who think that “but no one ever comes by this way?” from thinking they are Colin McRae and smashing head on into my van!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information