1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carb Tuning Help

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Amentia, Sep 17, 2018.

1. I’ve decided it’s time to give the carbs on my 750ss an overhaul, but if I’m going to replace internals I may aswell Dynojet it

I’ve never touched carbs before, but I’m confident enough that I could rebuild them. I am however less confident that I will be able to spec the jets etc correctly and get the bike running spot on.

Is there anyone who offers a service for that sort of thing? Either that, or someone who could help fine tune things after fitting the kit?

Probably the wrong section to post in, but wasn’t sure where else to post. Cheers in advance

2. If you call NRP carbs and give them the details of your bike (year and model, standard air filter or aftermarket, exhaust standard or aftermarket) they will be able to advise you, they also sell carb rebuild kits/spares, they are very knowledgable and helpful.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. It's witchcraft

4. It isn't witchcraft if you know what you already have in your carbs - there are plenty of posts on this forum about how to identify Dynojet and what jets you should expect - or have I got to go through it all yet again?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. Twas just a little carb humour

6. Try taking a look at the Ducati suite website.
    Lots of pics and explanation.
    Take Al's advice on float height though.

7. How many other mods will you make at the same time? If it's just a Dynajet kit it'll not be massively out and you could have a go yourself?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I was going to do carbs and change to a cone filter setup, and I’ve just bought some new coils and leads. I’m not looking for lots of performance, just more ride-ability.

As I understand it, there are several options for the jets in each kit? How do I know which option I need.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. If someone could please post a link pointing me in the right direction I’ll stop wasting everyone’s time

9. Here’s a link to the Ducati suite

http://www.ducatisuite.com/jetkit.html

Try doing a search on the forum as well

Give NRP a call
    http://nrp-carbs.co.uk/

Set you floats to 12.5mm (that’s right isn’t it AL ?)

Often there’s a bit of trial and error with non standard set up’s but that’s just part of the fun, I say fun, I mean mind bending frustration, but the info is out there, hopefully someone will post further links to relevant threads on this forum for you.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. That’s great. Than you for being so helpful.

11. As stated it's been done before by many others, for a more general bit of info, just Google carb tuning. The improved ignition will help too.

Start with the base line settings and take it from there, adjusting settings in small intervals. A Dynojet kit will, in simple terms allows more fuel in. This would make it too rich. Air filter pods will allow more air in, which will make it too lean. Together you may find that you don't need to adjust too much from the baseline settings. This of course is just my initial thoughts without seeing it running.

12. The OP first of all needs to establish whether or not he already has a Dynojet kit fitted in his carbs.

There are posts on this forum to show how to identify them - in the carbed Supersport section.

Once that is decided, he would need to know if his exhausts are straight through or if they have restrictive baffles. He has said he is altering the air filter side of things - might be a good idea to state which make.

Dynojet kits come in three stages; 1, 2 & 3, obviously. Stage 3 is usually for full race engines and are not really suitable for road use. The normal is Stage 1 or Stage 2.

All kits come with the respective required needle, spring and jets for whichever Stage is selected (usually two sizes of jet - I would opt for the large one each time, unless the air filters are restrictive, like oil soaked ones).

AL

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Ducatisuite is your friend here.
    The author is intelligent and resourceful but not an expert as such, so he doesn’t tend to leave steps out as an expert might, as it would seem obvious to them.
    The author’s bike was a Monster, so is essentially very similar to the SS, if not quite identical.
    He did install pods as well as a jet kit, so highly relevant.

14. I should also have said that the Dynojet kits are bike model specific - so what are fitted to a 900SS; 600SS; and 750SS are all different. Monster kits are definitely not the same as the SSs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information