1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Carbon Fiber

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by uk_biker, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Anyone know why carbon fiber does this ? have i got cheap fiber because all the pieces i have have done or are starting to to this. Ive tried to sand down and clear coat the right hand intake tube cover but it makes it worse. see pics

c1.gif

c2.gif

c3.gif

2. Looks to me like it's getting scratched to fk.

You got some piece of metal or summat on the underside of your right glove, and on the lower inside of your right boot or on the sole too perhaps?

Got loads of CF and it doesn't look like that unless the planet has scratched it.

3. If the clear coat isn't U.V. protective maybe the C/F breaks down. Could it also be fake carbon-fibre?

4. Sorry bud. But that is cheap crappy CF.
    What's happened there is. It's a ply or two of wet lay Carbon weave backed up with fiber glass then a ton of clear lacquer over the top. Any flexing will crack and craze the finish.
    The exhaust shield is probably because it's not heat proof lacquer.
    The problem with carbon is if it's not prepreg it's generally crap. And even to get a high gloss finish you need a bloody good mould. And an autoclave which makes the components expensive.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. its not scratched thats the fiber coming through, theres no glass fiber in it that i can see, it has the same pattern weave front and back. Its almost like the clear has broken down. Thinking N.monkey is right and its just cheap carbon fiber. once is started to crack there was no stopping it.

6. Have you been leaving it out in the sun a lot??

7. its used 4-5 days aweek and left out in the elements for at least 12 hours per day its riden. but i wouldn't think that should make any difference. What ever clear coat it had on it was not good enough.

8. Whether it should have happened or not I can't say but I reckon it's UV that's caused the damage.

9. went the easy and cheap route, looks much better. not sure it will put up with the heat. carbon.gif carbon1.gif carbon2.gif

10. funny - That is my old shit !! i Wrapped them

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Interesting - tell us more...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information