1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon Fibre Cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by XH558, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Well folks i've removed the go slow stickers from the 998 carbon fibre belly pan with a hot gun & thumbnail at a safe predictable distance,but unfortunately the remaining adhesive residue is very stubborn with just a soft cloth coated in WD40,anybody up to speed on a faster method without scratching the carbon material would be appreciated.
    DSCN7148[1].JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nail polish remover or a bit of petrol. Try a small area first.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Acetone, nail varnish remover is the same stuff. Dissolves any neoprene based glue.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Just love this answer;"Try a small area first":thinkingface:.........so does it works without any discolouration whatsoever then,?

5. looks like you have touch of the "bloom" unfortunately. As said, stripping off lacquer and re-doing is probably your only route, and hope the discolouration hasn't affected the base carbonfibre.

6. Should be fine but agree with Chris. Might have to have a go relacquering. I just put that in for a laugh (try a small area first) TBH. Never had any problem with acetone on mine. It’s a good degreaser if you do have to re lacquer the part too.

#6 Expat Jack, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mr Sheen polish, it's bloody brilliant at removing the sticky crap:upyeah:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I do have some in stock and will try that move,also someone has thrown their penny's worth in with methylated spirit.:thinkingface:

9. Chris / Richard,i think it's ok as some adhesive has been removed already by me with the WD40 and what i can see the top shine protective coat is still inplace,i really don't want to go down the re-lacquering route.

10. It’s going to be fine then. Nail varnish remover job jobbed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Petrol works as well, don't know about meths, maybe with a drop of coke or lemonade:thinkingface:;).

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Do you know for sure it is a neoprene based glue? Seems an odd choice for the application.

13. How the fu3k would I KNOW that it is neoprene based glue, I cannot see it from here. Most stickers etc are backed with neoprene based glue because it is weather proof.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Thought that you implied it by this post
    Most stickers are backed with acrylic adhesive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Nail biting stuff.:scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I see you've discovered my misspent youth up at Hyde Park Corner.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. not saying for certain/have no idea as "remote" but with lacquer any form of glue applied for some time usually end up "in it" rather than "on it" hence the term bloom. Don't be afraid of re-lacquering as it's hard to get wrong if you use the right product (worth a search).

• Like Like x 2
  18. I remember taking a small table with a bloom on it, due to someone leaving a hot mug on it, to a French Polisher. I couldn't believe my eyes when he put some meths on a cotton wad and rubbed it into the bloom, then set fire to it! The bloom vanished before my eyes, whereupon he blew the flames out! He refused to charge anything for simply working a bit of magic.. Now, where's that carbon fibre?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Second on Mr Sheen, brilliant stuff. Use it on all my bikes and helmets, furniture etc Gone are the days of expensive polishes researched by NASA and manufactured from the quim of Essex virgins! £1.65 a can and lasts a good long time and smells nice; HUSSAR!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information