1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon Fibre Life Saver.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Carr01, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Hi,
    does anyone have any top tips on how to bring the life back to an otherwise washed out looking front mudguard.

The carbon fibre appears to have faded in the sun and has turned a washed out grey.

Planning on a quiet Christmas!
    Thanks.

2. Flat it with progressively finer wet &dry paper and re lacquer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Or maybe try first with wet&dry polishing paper (2000 grade?) cos you might cut into the fibres with a coarse grade. Or, even finer, try cutting compound or good-old T-Cut...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. look at that, barely an hour and approach potentially (hopefully) sorted, what a Forum. :upyeah: can't stress the need to get the best/suitable lacquer as my recent half-hearted cheapskate job on 1000DS Termi covers barely lasted a year - I did use Halfords lacquer that had been kicking around for several years to be fair.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Thanks lads, I’ll give the lacquer a go but looks like it’ll be a summer job when the garage is warmer.
    No what else can I do?
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Use the bathroom ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Why, have I pissed myself again?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. No. Didn’t you read my thread? Oops.

9. Of course I did, and very useful it was too, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I did my lacquer work in the shower cubicle cos I could get it good and warm. Forgot about mist blowback. Nicely lacquered floor, bath etc. Had to wet and dry the floor in the end. SWMBO not impressed - I tried to blag it but no chance. o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. I like being married, I’ll wait for warmer weather!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Since you have time between now and the "warmer weather" I'd try 2000grit wet & Dry and buffing in the meantime. Nothing to lose and it might be all you need.

#13 Jez900ie, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. When you say buffing... what exactly do you mean?

14. Using an electric polisher & cutting compound ideally, -but you could do it by hand- on a small area to see if you get the super shiny results you want.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Start with cutting compound. Maguires is very good, you could use T Cut. Then, if that works, use a good polish then finally wax. Use a polishing machine for best results. Post up your before and afters pics if you can.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Taken the mudguard off this morning, you can see the fading from the leading edge.
    BD7ABCF8-F143-45C0-A5E6-5AC719006296.jpeg
    From the marking on the inside, I don’t think it’s an original part! 7FDEC5A2-02A3-47F2-BF2D-E7CB07E6A4F9.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeah it looks a nice original piece,just some TLC required.:upyeah:

18. So as a sideline Marks and Spencer used to supply carbon fibre parts for Ducati?
    It’s a crazy mixed up world!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jewish people are very good at making money in most playgrounds of life.:confused::upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information