1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Carbon Key Guard Fitment

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Coffey, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Hey all, see photos below of a Full Six carbon key guard from Moto Rapido fitted today .... is this normal? To me the fit looks terrible. :worried: I have ordered some small rubber edging to go round it as I am afraid it may mark the tank, but the fit around the ignition barrel? Trouble is I had to bond the immobiliser thing to it, I just assumed the fit would be ok : unamused: or am I being silly and once I stop looking to closely it will be fine? Thanks! :upyeah:

2. I'd expect a better fit than that from full six stuff. I had a cheap one on mine and it rubbed the tank on the corners but the fit around the ignition barrel was fine.

3. Hmmm thats what I thought, trouble is I have bonded the key thing to it now, with epoxy as I wanted to do a proper job! :( I have ordered some small rubber edging to stop it rubbing the paint, so 'may' be able to doctor rhe edges with a dremmel before putting the rubber strip on to acheive a better fit.

4. Just for the record Moto Rapido offered a replacement or full refund not requiring this part back ... I have taken the refund thinking the others may have the same problem. Top service.

5. I have the fullsix item (actually their former name CDTr IIRC), and it fits fine. I have a number of parts from Fullsix on my bike and in general the fit and finish is excellent. However, like many handmade products, sometimes things don't come out as planned.

The guys at MR are brilliant and they have an excellent line of communication with Fullsix. I'd suggest ordering another and if the fit is the same as your first, then clearly there is an issue.

IMG_0889.JPG IMG_0890.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thats interesting, yours looks to be a cover over the original rubber part? The one I have is a replacement, so the rubber bit comes off and then the carbon one goes on, unless I was mis informed and it should have gone over the top?? They said on the listing the key detector would need bonding to this, thats why I just assumed the rubber one came off and this went on.

7. I thought all of these were meant to go over the original shroud to stop the immobiliser aerial falling down and causing issues. I know you have gone the epoxy route, but I'd have left the oem and covered it.

8. The carbon guard from Fullsix is a remove and replace item. There is no way that it would fit over the oem cover.

The immobiliser proximity sensor is "clipped" in to a secure location on the OEM guard. This clip is not part of the carbon guard, most probably due the tricky nature of it. I am very wary of permanently bonding anything on a machine. I used sticky backed velcro and it works a treat.

Hopefully you can de-bond the sensor and get a replacement from the guys a MR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Out of interest, do you have one on an 848/1098/1198? Assuming the fit is good?? Thank you. Reluctant to get a replacement as assumed would all be from the same mould.

10. Not quite sure what you're asking there. The bike is a 1198SP.

11. Sorry that did not make a lot of sense! Lol, what I meant was do you have s full six one in yours? And I assume it is a much better fit than this one?

Update I'm pretty p1ss3d about it now to be fair, just took it off to see what I can do and I have now got 2 great scratch marks in my tank where it has 'dug' into it. :triumph:

IMG_4194.JPG

12. Not sure it's relevant to this but it might be. My Carbon guard went on well when I got it but when it's hot or particularly when I'm in Europe using higher ethanol fuel, the tank swells to the point that the guard cuts in at the top like yours and either side at the very front of the tank. I had to take it off one year it was cutting in so bad.

I filed the guard down a fair bit over the winter following that so there was a nice big gap but next tour it almost touched again. As it's very hot at the moment is that a factor in your problem ?

13. A good point re the heat, but the fitment is a mile off. A good point to consider though whulst trying to sort it, I have ordered some small rubber trim to place around the edge when I try to get it to fit better. Please see my thread praising moto rapido though, fantastic customer service.

Full refund issued, a replacement posted out FOC to see if it firs better and the offer to source a new key sensor at the right price if I cannot de bond it without damaging from the dodgy part. Top marks.

14. They aint worth the bovver...:poop:

• Like Like x 1
  15. No sh1t ... :( .... I now know this!

16. @Coffey

Mine digs in in one of the same spots yours does too, and also the front two wings have scratched the front part of the tank to buggery. Guess it's a common problem.

17. Hmm not good, I think the digging scratching I can get over with the small rubber trim I have ordered, I will let you know how that goes, could be an easy fix. My problem really is the complete misalignment around the ignition. Hopefully the replacement will be better, if not, the rubber one can go back on with a new sensor!

18. Mine one actually sits below the top of the ignition barrel so it actually pokes right through. I think that looks better if i'm honest.

19. Do you happen to know what make it was mate? Or a photo if you happen to get 5 sometime would be awsome! :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information