1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V2 Carbon Wheels?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by manicguitarist, May 17, 2020.

1. Was going to get the Akra system...just cos. But then CH on Facebook mentioned carbon wheels...which are slightly cheaper than the akra.

Anyone have experience of BST wheels?

2. Rather have noise than some carbon wheels

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yeah..but the stock cans are already pretty loud. Well over 100dB

4. BlackStone Tek are a top notch brand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I've had BST on a couple of bikes but for my panigale I bought dymag. Dymag are British and I thought looked better than BST's rather boxy looking rear wheel profile. They're the same price.
    It's the single biggest change you can make to the bike. It makes it feel smaller and lighter and accelerates faster. As you say, the bike is already loud, why but an exhaust on that will mean your can't run the bike on many track days?

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. My only advise would be tht personally I wouldn’t buy carbon wheels second hand. But I agree they would be a better use of cash than exhaust. That new BST wheel design is nicer also than the old 6/7 spoke oneS

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I run a set of BSTs and a set of Dymags. Each beautifully made but I have had warranty issues which BST can not resolve, yet I dropped one of my Dymags off to the factory for similar work and their after sales service has been incredible, even with the lockdown going on. I don’t care about the British thing but if you are in the UK (which I am not) and need to, you can drop them right off at the door, you can hardly do that with BST in Jo’burg!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I have BST Rapidteks in my 1299.

they are excellent. BE2AE3BF-6317-40F4-A93C-FF9B11D433C9.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  9. I love carbon wheels but couldn't put BST's on and leave the standard exhaust as i'm a tart! It would have to be both or exhaust first and then wheels at a later date if you cant afford to do both at same time. Most people say wheels are the best single mod you can do mind..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I run a BST rear & TKCC front; waiting for TK to do a single sided rear at the end of 2020.
    No problems at all on my Pani.

EF353626-D62B-4E18-9A22-EBAB2D4C6DF1.jpeg

FD0E60EC-6C9C-4B46-B985-3B58C04FB434.jpeg

11. They should make the rear like the front looks loads better

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Have you thought of oz gass wheels??
    Your have change for some of your exhaust too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BSTs every time.

46BD4D8A-226B-4FB0-846A-DE5A74FCF728.jpeg C6A56199-5CA4-43B3-8FC7-71CDA5958D95.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Waiting for TKCC to start manufacturing their rears for sssa. At the moment for Ducati’s they only list the 959 (899). Before lockdown I was told end of 2020 and they’ll have them listed. Now, who knows.
    If they do produce one then my BST rear will be for sale :upyeah:

15. Waiting as well on ThyssenKrupp.
    They made the wheels for the HP4 Race (and dont make them for the M package S1000RR as thats another company)

they will make a set for the V4 at the end of the year but i see no reason why they wont fit a V2.

They are also manufactured differently then all other wheels in that they are braided carbon much like the carbon on a Lexus LFA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. I was going to get a set for my 848 and decided that in the end I thought I'd get 90% of the performance benefit with the OZ GASS wheels and have something that IMO looked nicer and just in my head would sit better than Carbon. I've watched a million videos on them doing all sorts of stuff to them, and I appreciate they are as tested as anything else, so not going down that rabbit hole, but it's just something in my head, I think I'd feel compelled to check them all the time when I stop etc.

The difference in cost would have also allowed me to look at getting some upgraded discs, perhaps Brembo Serie oro that have thicker disc surface and lighter middles so maximising the overall benefit at the front of the bike. Oh and titanium center bolts.

Unfortunately as soon as the V2 was announced I had a change of heart and knew I had to buy one so didn't get the wheels for my 848, now I like the spoke design so much in the V2 wheel I'm not sure if I'd change it just for that reason.

17. the V2 is a cracking package and what I would have bought if it were available when the 1299 was out.

in terms of performance, I think you are right carbon wheels are not worth the extra £1000 or £1500 as forged alloy brings a huge benefit. The excess cash is mostly bling factor, but if they plant seeds of doubt in your head the performance benefit is lost and then some.

#17 749er, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  18. Anyone had any experience with the Rotobox and in particular their Bullet? I'm considering them for my V4S.

19. See, for me, I just can't get my head around this... The thing is, if after 1 year they start failing, the company goes bust, but what about the few guys who had a wheel snap at 100+mph and lost their lives, I don't know but I just feel like the upfront testing is one thing but these wheel manufacturers should be required to prove that after x thousand road, trackday and tyre changes they are still able to pass all the same strength tests.
    rotobox_bullet_set_convex.jpg

20. I've had carbon wheels on bikes for the last 10 years and probably done 50k miles on them, crashed them, abused them - never had any issue at all.
    used to read stories about people who had had accidents when they failed - most of those articles are from decades ago - not seen many/any recently.
    If you want ultimate handling performance its carbon. Magnesium is close but still not as good and often just as expensive.

• Agree Agree x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information