1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carby Single Seat Conversion

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by 900ss'er, Nov 12, 2016.

1. I'm converting my '95 900ss to single seat and have bought a fibreglass unit from Ricambi Weiss.

Somewhere on this fine forum I've seen some detailed instructions and photos on making brackets for a single seat conversion. But I'm blowed if I can find it again. can anyone help please? Thanks

2. Heres mine

20160726_171043.jpg

20160726_171038.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. 900ss'er

Have a look at this thread.
    Single Seat : Grp Or Glass Fibre?
    I have a .dxf file of the brackets if you want a go at making them yourself just contact me.

Cheers Gaz

• Like Like x 1
  4. I can give a bit of advice here, I went the way of Ricambi Weiss, and bought seat pads and brackets (had to fibreglass the underside of the seat unit so the brackets met the frame). I then painted it myself, purchased SL decals and then laquered it. The job is perfect and you really can't tell it is a none OEM item unless you look underneath...however...the advice...

It would have been way cheaper to shell out on a unit that pops up every now and again on the bay. And that isn't including the time spent sanding and cursing..

I forget the figures, but I remember after I had finished a carbon single seat in red with #1 sold on the bay for less than I had spent.

Good luck..
    G

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Can I see a pic of how yours fits around the tail light?

6. I have an RW unit fitted on my SL - I used OE rubbers on my own brackets (glasses in). The rear ones were t**ts to position, but give better/proper support to RW's thin grp. I found fit and finish to be ok (you get what you pay for after all), and its held up well for several years now. I went with an aftermarket one to (1) preserve the original (ever priced one up?), and (2) to allow modification to get easier access into the hump (for sarnies).

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm about to do this - I have just received the brackets I ordered a couple of months ago from Stein-Dinse. I was not happy with the RW as it came. so I will start fettling that first.

Buying an original unit would be the cheaper way to go

8. So - this is stage one felting the RW. I am extending the fibre-glass all round before cutting back to fit the light.

I'm using thickish chop-strand mat and going to do three layers I think. It will be finished off with filler.

This is layer one. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Continued with three layers of glass-fibre and painted all the brackets...

[​IMG]

I made small holes where the bolts will go through and screwed small wood-screws through. This will allow me to locate everything before the final hole drilling.

[​IMG]

This is the rough cut for the first fit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. I shouldve done that fibreglassing :(

20160726_172900.jpg

11. Locating the rear brackets is fun! This was my method. First, I attached the front brackets roughly, and put the front lateral bolts in as a pivot point - this allows the seat unit to raise and lower at the rear. I then stuck the rear brackets on the frame. With this arrangement:

1) to locate them on the surface of the seat unit I have used a light source to 'project' the shadow of the screw holes onto the inside of the seat unit.

2) to identify the stand off I taped a bit of paper across from point to point inside the unit and put ink on the top of the brackets. When I closed down the seat unit, this made a mark on the paper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to make the stand off brackets next...

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. The brackets are made. The stand off was 25mm. I'm just thinking about how to do the glassing in. I might take the rear tray/light/numberplate support off and try to glass these in on the bike. At least I'll know they are in the right place. But its will be a pain.

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Glassed the home made rear stand-off brackets in overnight. Did this while it was all located on the bike. Took the rear number-plate, tool shelf off to get access. Not easy to use chop strand mat loaded with resin upside down!

It is all off the bike again and ready for some more grp work. I just weighed it in comparison to the 2 seater setup. This is 3.8kg with all seats and fittings. The 2 seater is 4.7kg. I'm surprised it is lighter by that much.

14. Pics of it finished please

15. Here are some pics of the rough glassed in brackets - i intend to do another layer over this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Superb set of pictures, hints and tips. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  17. It is finally finished! only 18 months on... My painter had a bit of a nightmare with the stickers. I have described this in other threads. So I finally got it all together today...

Believe me that the total costs for this make original units at £300 a bargain! if you can find one in the right colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I don't have a superlight, and since it is not that light with all the hardware despite six titanium bolts (3.1kg), I have had 'supersport' decals custom made. The white number blank was hand painted by Sarah, as the decal would not lie down flat on the complex curves.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information