1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casablanca

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, May 22, 2020.

1. This is little to do with Ducatis and all of those intolerant people who dislike the lounge are welcome to eff off, now!

----
    Right!

I've got too much time on my hands! Nothing to do with the lock down as I am still in recovery and cannot do much of a practical nature, anyway.

So, I'm sorting out my computer as I must of been in the middle of something when I had my accident, I've found and restored my Kobo Books account. I remembered that I was into Laurie Lee at the time and was buying his books.

I discovered in 'Cider With Rosie' that he was bought up near here - in Slad. Was meaning to go and have a look. Now starting "As I walked Out One Midsummer Morning" and that got me thinking about the place where it was based, in Spain. And then I get to on to one of my favourite films, "Casablanca". And then, as you do, I am planning my bike trip there (this is after Wales, Scotland, and Ireland). Oh and Poland! Well maybe before Poland!

Anyway, just started planning the route in Ride, as you do.

This is all abased upon me getting clearance to ride with my eyesight. And then I have to decide which bike to take. A 20 year-old Ducati ST2, a 11 year old Ducati ST3, or whatever I get when I get compensation - probably a Guzzi V85 TT Travel.

There. Got to Ducati, eventually.....
    upload_2020-5-22_13-22-58.png

• Like Like x 5
  2. I don’t want to disappoint but Casablanca is the business capital of Morocco and does not have much else going for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I love the idea of that route, but IMHO North Africa is not a nice destination to visit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. talk to Rexdangermouse his is good with maps..............

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I went a few years ago on a bmw gs it's a great experience but long boring trundle through Spain and France.

In Morocco you want to do a loop from Ceuta to fez, ouarzazate, Marrakesh then you can do Casablanca and down the coast or back towards fez and return to Ceuta on nicer roads. You can also do the famous passes that way.

Check the ukgser site as they have lots of information and routes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I intend to take quite a long time (no job to worry about) and would probably detour a bit in France and Spain to stay off motorways.

I've never ridden a bike in Africa before. What's the road network like? Or would you motorway it through France and Spain in order to get to to Morocco as quickly as poss?

7. It's always worth riding through France away from the motorways.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Good read, As I walked out...
    Not trying to put you off but I’d never go back to Morocco even if paid a shed load of money. Last time I had to go (with work), the bribing, dirty, stinky corrupt coppers started as soon as we got off the ferry from Algeciras. The dirty bastards had food stains all down their uniforms and looked liked they’d spent the previous week sleeping under a lorry. They wanted our jewellery and money if we wanted to enter their shit hole of a country. Ended up having to give them £40 but it was touch and go if they’d let us in.
    Drove down to Marrakesh. Stopped for fuel and the attendant said... you pay me €50 I put in €30 and I give you receipt for €60. Like this everywhere. Went into the service station for some food and a coffee, the whole place stank of goat’s cheese, flys everywhere. Complete shithole.
    Finally got to Marrakesh and I’ll be the first to admit, it is well worth a visit. Full of history and monuments but the journey there just isn’t worth it. The French style Hotel we stayed in really was worthy of the 5 star rating it had. Superb swimming pool, food, gym... Everything apart from the armed guards surrounding the outsides. Can’t comment on Casablanca.
    I reckon you’d be better of retracing Laurie Lee’s journey. Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. So, you're not pitching for a job on the Moroccan Tourist Board, then?

Useful info though and I may just keep reading Laurie Lee. To be fair, I know that I really like France and Spain. They are both (in my experience) really friendly and hassle-free places - and the food is good! Yes France has got much hotter on speeding than it used to be, but hasn't everywhere?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. TBH mate. You can’t go wrong with touring Spain. (Not much experience with France).
    Do the Pico de Europa in the north as that’s an absolute must.
    On your way down south, try to keep west along side Portugal as this route is stunning. Head into Extremadura and though the Sierra de Huelva. Then either into Portugal or east towards, Seville, Córdoba and up towards Granada. All the major cities in Andalusia have sheds loads to offer, nearly always good weather, food, roads, everything.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yes. I've been to Portugal before but never on a bike. I think that a France, Spain, Portugal tour may be more attractive if I give Africa a miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roads are generally okay, traffic can be mad but on a bike you always pay more attention. (It was about 5 years ago)

What bettes said is not wrong, the people although nice are trying to make a living and you just need to be firm with a no. You are traveling outside 'safe' Europe so it is different, getting across the border and filling in forms on a different continent becomes a experience in itself.

Spain's and France are just big with little in between the cities so I preferred just to get through them.

The credit card scam - I remember the story with stolen or company cards that lorry drivers did throughout Europe as well, split the profits!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for the info. I'm going to have a think about it.

"Spain's and France are just big with little in between the cities so I preferred just to get through them." - I have never found this. In fact, in general, I prefer between the cities. in France and Spain. I am going to keep planning because adding Portugal to the mix is tempting. And Cadiz in Spain is always somewhere that I've fancied visiting. I could be away for months!

• Like Like x 1
  14. I spent a day in Cadiz about twenty years ago, it was a shitehole. I was keen to visit it but keener to leave.

Maybe it's gotten better?

I'd pick another city.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Portugal is the friendliest place for Brits, we've never fooked them over so they still like us :blush:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Laurie Lee followed up his 'As I Walked Out...' book in later life, following his 1930's route to & through Spain with his wife. That book - 'A Rose For Winter' is a lovely read :upyeah: Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. I am from quite near Slad - what a name. Anyway, I did a 4 wheel adventure in Morocco last year and the cities are shit but the Atlas mountains and the desert beyond are fabulous. Yes Ian they all want your dosh but you just have to get over it! Food is average with lots of road kill tagine. I would go back to the desert but miss all the cities.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Fair point!

19. Is it? I'll give it a miss then!

20. We must of had a good sea battle with them back in the day. They were quite good seafarers and did a bit of invading, I thought.

Nah. I was thinking that they got Puerto Rico, but that was the Spanish, according to Wiki.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information