1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cbr400rr Rebuild.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Dazzx10r, Feb 26, 2019.

1. I aquired a very unloved CBR400rr (NC29) just after the new year. The bike has been sat in pieces scattered around in various boxes since it was crashed back in 2005/6. When I got it there was basically a frame, swingarm, shock and rear wheel. The engine was out of the frame and looked in a state, the fairings where missing both bottoms, mid panels and a mudguard. There was no front wheel as this was broken in the crash and the forks were bent beyond repair.
    I spent a full day cleaning the frameand swingarm before getting it on the bench to start assembly, I then found out the the rear subframe was slightly bent!
    cbr400.1.jpg

CBR400.2.jpg

CBR400.8.jpg

2. I have straightened out the subframe and gave it a lick of paint, cleaned the rear shock and repainted the spring. The top yoke was all scratched so I sanded the marks out of it leaving the 'grain lines' in it just like they are when new and gave it a coat of clear laquer, I'm very happy with how this has turned out. CBR400.4.jpg

CBR400.6.jpg

CBR400.7.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. I strapped the engine down on to my little work trolley and took it out on to the drive to give it a good clean. I used TFR neat in a spray bottle and left it 10 mins to work into the grease and grime. It's cleaned up quite well, I think it's true what they say about Honda's build quality, everything that I have cleaned up has come out looking fantastic considering how bad the parts were before I started.

cbr400.9.jpg

cbr400.16.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. I've refitted the undertray and rear light, I'm not sure what to do about the 2 holes drilled into the rear mudguard just yet.
    I have managed to get hold of a front wheel with the discs, I will send it off for powder coating with the rear wheel once they have been stripped down.

cbr400.17.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. We need an "awesome" rating icon. This is great.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nice project.
    Those little 400's are great on track!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Been running an NC29 on track for 4 years, it’s a great little bike. I have found that GFRacing, https://gfracinguk.com/?sesid=tft73m2nc3o3720nqsfgqclpu0, is a great source of parts and very knowledgeable and you can still find useable stuff on eBay for reasonable money. Good project :upyeah: Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yes I have heard of Greame France, got him as a friend on FB.

9. Wheels powder coated and new tyres fitted. I have decided to give these Mitas Sport Force Plus a try, bloody bargain as well at £105 for the pair.:upyeah: cbr400.39.jpg

cbr400.41.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Carbs all stripped, cleaned and reassembled, exhaust fitted. Also knocked up some paddock stand bobins out of a bit of Delrin bar. cbr400.20.jpg

cbr400.28.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. The chassis is all about together nopw or there abouts, moving on to the body work now. cbr400.42.jpg cbr400.40.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. The fairings are all a bit of a mis-match, but still all original Honda. After doing weeks of seariching on ebay and Facebook this is what I have ended up with. It looks a bit like one of those VW Polo Harlequins :laughing: cbr400.35.jpg cbr400.36.jpg

13. Honda Pure Black Mica.:upyeah: cbr400.44.jpg cbr400.46.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Finaly got the fuel tank cleaned out, brick acid does a fantastic job.:upyeah:Sorry I didn't get any before and after pics. A few dents filled and tank in primer. cbr400.52.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. I'm quite happy with how these cheap crappy Chinese head lights have turned out. They took a fair amount of messing around with to get right and fit within the fairing holes correctly.

16. My apologies but like Roberano, I can't resist a photo opportunity. Andy
    20170418_160057.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. That’s cracking mate, love a project and on the look out for another one after almost completing my 98 R1 project

• Like Like x 1
  18. I did a 2003 5PW R1 last October. R1.1.jpg R1.60.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bloody steal at that price. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information