1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cctv

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BigAlan, Jan 21, 2021.

1. So my niece and her friends have had there horse yard broken into twice recently, firstly to remove the horsebox and latterly the saddles etc.

Does anybody know of any CCTV cameras either with a SD card or some other way of recording who goes in and out of the yard, probably three in total, they do have electricity on site.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

2. I’ve always used HiK vision 4K with cloud personally.

cctv can be recorded locally, but for your use I’d suggest installing a wan if you haven’t already for remote access

3. Unfortunately the yard is a mile down a lane, easy pickings for those who want them even with big locks etc so getting any sort of network there is difficult.

4. I assume has no line at all then? The other option would be a mobile router (4g etc). I believe you can buy 4g cctv units...

but in your case if the 4g signal is also awful/non existent perhaps you’ll have to run it local. This means you’ll have cameras and a dvr (the unit it records to which generally has internal storage) on-site (with a screen and mouse usually present in this arrangement) but unless you can get some form of lan/wan connection to it sadly you’ll not get any live notifications if buggery is afoot... but you will be able to look at it after the event ofcourse.

#4 Advikaz, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  5. If they’re pikeys visiting to relieve your niece of trailers and saddles, they won’t give two hoots about cameras.

They’ll wait until the nicked stuff has been replaced then go and nick it again I’m afraid. Ted Martin took things into his own hands and shot the fuckers. Although most of the nation approves hugely of such actions, it’s not allowed unfortunately.

The only real option is to shift location or not leave anything there that they’ll go for. You can’t stop them. Not without going to prison anyway....

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. This, if at all possible.

That said if the scrotes want to get in they’ll do everything they can to get in. Including cuts camera wires etc.

Would guard dogs be a better option?

7. So you going to go down there and interrupt their break-in?

The police don't give a crap about rural burglary, even with video evidence.

Remove all valuable items. They will soon work it out and go somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 4

8. Most of the new units are wireless now :)

However cctv in itself is not security. It’s useful in its own right but I’d always invest in good quality locks, handles, doors etc first

9. that only works if the things networked and not running local.

I personally don’t see the value in cctv if it’s not networked as you won’t know anything about it until after the event

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Which is fine until the signal is interrupted. CCTV experts shy away from these systems and prefer hard wired for practical purposes.

Or at least that’s what we were told by 3 installers/security companies we had quote us when we were looking to install our system.

11. Guard dogs are quite complicated. Good idea but more to it than meets the eye. For a kick off, you're liable if they maul anyone.

And I've just checked the price of decent horse saddle... three grand!!o_O I knew they were expensive....

• WTF WTF x 1
  12. This ^^^

I know we'd all like to go full Rambo, but that only happens on the telly. The easiest thing to do is shift valuable stuff somewhere more secure.

A mate down south went at them with a 2 stroke chainsaw. It worked on that occasion but that kind of shit can go very wrong very quickly....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Advikaz has summarised the situation / options / problems very well .
    Whichever way you can get a camera system set-up I'd definitely recommend cloud storage
    .... if they nick or vandalize the cameras , the recordings are still secure .

Yeah .... once again the law seems to favour the scum , and their so-called "rights" ,
    and any form of booby-trapping , even on your own private property , is a definite legal no no .

I agree that there are some types who just don't care about being recorded
    but a well placed ( and hidden ) camera could get useful info on vehicles used

• Like Like x 1

14. You’re not wrong.

but I’d wager that your average crim is more likely to posses a set of snips than they are a jammer perhaps?

both are flawed ultimately at the level we are discussing

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wildlife camera with decent quality video & imaging.

16. If the thieves are small time gits, a pair of big dogs will get rid of them.

If they are doing this for a living nothing will stop them short of removing the valuables so there's nothing to steal.

Move the horses, or take your gear home. A film of someone wearing a mask isn't going to change anything except the takings at the camera shop.

17. I understand it’s difficult, thankfully my niece “only” had the horse box stolen, others lost the lot inc saddles which were a fortune and ride on lawnmowers.

The only way is to remove all the stuff, but late now but if it has to be done so be it, the horses will be next to go I guess.

what’s the thought on some sort of motion detector which switches large floodlights on and sets of a sodding loud siren? The nearest dwelling is the land owner anyway and if nothing else will annoy the offenders.

thanks.

#17 BigAlan, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021

18. Flood lights on sensors are deemed as good security.

thieves generally don’t like working in highly lit areas

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hows the electricity supply there, if its a little dodgy it might be worth putting a warning sign somewhere, just in case as the last person leaves the yard the gate and doors all become live and pose a risk of giving someone an electric shock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information