1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Stand Grounding On St4s

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Raynewalk, Sep 7, 2017.

1. I'm about 9 months into ST4s ownership and loving the bikes abilities. To put that in perspective, the wear marks on my rear tyre are nearly, but not quite, to the edge. So I don't think I'm a hooligan but I do get to that point when you feel you pull the bike down just a little bit more. For me it's more sweepers than twisties because I like to see what is coming next.

Out today with my son on the back, for the first time, I naturally took it a bit steadier but found the bike actually grounded the centre stand on a favourite bend. I weigh about (errham) 95Kg, my son perhaps 75. Heavy leathers but no luggage. I turned the pre-load adjuster up to the max to try to maintain the ride height. 3.5 turns more than solo riding.

After the ride I noticed the tyres, front and back, had a very faint touch of feathering so I guess they were working hard. The bike felt planted and inspired confidence as usual although the front was noticeably lighter. No shaking though.

I guess what I want to know is whether the message the bike is giving me is that this is about the limit and I just need to back off or if I
    a. Have a problem ie. mechanical/suspension
    b. Can do something better with the suspension - although 1 up I'm quite happy with it
    or
    c. Is the centre stand hanging low? I say that because it is 1/2 inch below the stop on the underside of the exhaust. So not on the exhaust stop but it clonks onto, what I presume is, the metalwear of the stand mechanism, and that stops a fair bit under the exhaust itself. It is not floppy or damaged apart from the few mil ground off the hero triangle!

I can't stress enough that I am really happy with the handling of the bike. I have had a riding break but my last machine was a CBR600 and I am not disappointed with the agility of the ST4s in comparison. Is the bike so good that it makes you ride too fast? Am I pushing it way too far? or should I expect more.

Welcome your experience and suggestions.

cheers

Greg

2. If you have the bike on the centre stand on level ground how much gap is there between the bottom of the tyre and the ground. For "pressing on " style riding i would adjust to zero clearance via the suspension rod length adjuster.
    This will raise the rear end independantly of the preload and quicken the steering.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Am I allowed to post the same thread in two forums? :thinkingface:

I'm about 9 months into ST4s ownership and loving the bikes abilities. To put that in perspective, the wear marks on my rear tyre are nearly, but not quite, to the edge. So I don't think I'm a hooligan but I do get to that point when you feel you pull the bike down just a little bit more. For me it's more sweepers than twisties because I like to see what is coming next.

Out today with my son on the back, for the first time, I naturally took it a bit steadier but found the bike actually grounded the centre stand on a favourite bend. I weigh about (errham) 95Kg, my son perhaps 75. Heavy leathers but no luggage. I turned the pre-load adjuster up to the max to try to maintain the ride height. 3.5 turns more than solo riding.

After the ride I noticed the tyres, front and back, had a very faint touch of feathering so I guess they were working hard. The bike felt planted and inspired confidence as usual although the front was noticeably lighter. No shaking though.

I guess what I want to know is whether the message the bike is giving me is that this is about the limit and I just need to back off or if I
    a. Have a problem ie. mechanical/suspension
    b. Can do something better with the suspension - although 1 up I'm quite happy with it
    or
    c. Is the centre stand hanging low? I say that because it is 1/2 inch below the stop on the underside of the exhaust. So not on the exhaust stop but it clonks onto, what I presume is, the metalwear of the stand mechanism, and that stops a fair bit under the exhaust itself. It is not floppy or damaged apart from the few mil ground off the hero triangle!

I can't stress enough that I am really happy with the handling of the bike. I have had a riding break but my last machine was a CBR600 and I am not disappointed with the agility of the ST4s in comparison. Is the bike so good that it makes you ride too fast? Am I pushing it way too far? or should I expect more.

Welcome your experience and suggestions.

cheers

Greg

4. Nope. Threads merged :)

5. That's interesting. thanks, I will try that. I have more than zero clearance because I can spin the wheel on the stand but I have not actually measured. Any pointers as to the suspension rod length adjuster. I am not mechanically inept but this is my first experience of a bike with proper quality adjustable suspension and I am mindful of not spoiling what is currently a good set-up. Although maybe I have a terrible set-up and do not know what I am missing? I don't feel the bike sits low. I am 6" so get my feet on the ground comfortably. Thanks again, cheers.

6. You might find the nuts very tight on the rod! Mind your knuckles!!

You should leave a gap so the rear tyre is not touching the floor on centrestand , otherwise you will not be able to use the centrestand, better to leave about an inch or so clearance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I had same issues on ST2, sparks everywhere on every ride. Firmer rear spring and make sure everything is ticked up as it should be. But even then it's likely on some roads (camber) you may touch it down at speed

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. If you've got stock silencers then the centre stand should certainly rest on the rubber bung on the nearside silencer.

Bear in mind that mounting the silencers on the lower mounting point (so you can fit the panniers) also lowers the stand stop, quite a lot.

Just to give you a little perspective I get to within about 1mm of the edge of the front tyre before the stand foot-loop touches the road. That's with the silencers in the higher mounting.

It is generally thought that a gap of about 10mm between the rear tyre and the road surface with the bike on the centre stand is about ideal as far as ride height goes. If your tie rod has not been played with for a while it's probably a good idea to remove it from the bike and clean up the threads on the eyes. The lower locking nut takes a bit of imagination to slacken in place!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. OK this is useful stuff. I do have the Nonfango pannier frame fitted but the centre stand still hangs below the silencer stop. It stops against something though. So this is wrong? I need to investigate further. Thanks

10. I'm very interested to hear what the stand's stopping on!

11. I'll look at it tomorrow.Will update. Thanks for the advice.

12. I'll look at it tomorrow.Will update. Thanks for the advice.

13. I think the centre stand is held with 2 springs, perhaps , for some reason, you only have one left. This might make it hang low and also actually bounce off of the road giving the impression of a problem that you dont actually suffer.
    To answer your question, the ride height adjuster is the rod between the swing arm and the other end of the bracket that mounts the top of the shock. Your manual has a value for the length it should be as standard. Take it out "easier said than done" and wind it out a little.
    Some easing spray might be required and remember that one thread is left hand and one is right hand thread.
    As to the advice to leave an inch gap under the rear wheel. I would imagine that is what you have now if not more. The greater the gap the slower the steering and the more likely you are to experience the issue you posted about. Take whatever advice you think fit, or none of course.
    Have fun

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Thanks v much. I am going to check what the stand is up to and do some measuring tomorrow for starters. Cheers.

15. Firstly ride height. I have just 1/2 inch ground clearance at the back.
    The mainstand hangs at least an inch below the stop on the silencer. Clearance.jpg
    The stand stops against the metal cube on the stand frame when in the up position..
    Stand_up.jpg
    And on the other surface of the same stop in the down position

Stand_down.jpg
    This metal stop is on both sides of the stand frame. Two springs present as can be seen.

This is how the stand is grounding
    Grounding.jpg

This is the silencer/luggage mounting Mounting.jpg

I'd like to get that stand up higher but it looks as though it is working as designed.
    Welcome all suggestions.
    Cheers

16. Can you raise the rear ride height? Looks like it's only dragging in a straight line tho :upyeah:

17. It only drags on corners when banked over. And only when 2 up but without luggage. I suppose I could raise the ride height but I've only got 1cm to go whereas the stand could move up nearly 3cm, only it can't because it is on the stops. Ho hum

#17 Raynewalk, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  18. Is your rear shock in good condition? When was it last serviced? Is there any fluid leak there?

19. Dealer prepped (Ducati Aylesbury) before I bought it. No sign of leakage. Should I see the ride height visibly increase when I wind in preload? With someone on it I mean.

20. I dont think you will visibly see a difference but you will certainly feel it. Winding the preload only affects the amount of travel used by the suspension IIRC.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information