1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Stand Removal

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by indiecourier, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Anyone removed the stand from an ST?

I'm going to need the loop that you stand on to lift the bike reinforced (starting to show a shadow of the i.d on the flat the road's wearing away, if you see what I mean) but don't think any of the welders I know still use gas.

And it's such a faff to isolate the bloody battery for arc welding I'm wondering if it's just easier to remove the stand.

Or is it an urban myth that you should disconnect the battery before welding?

2. Looks easy to remove if the spring isn't too troublesome - this is an ST3 one...

STAND-Ducati-Motorcycle-Sport-touring-2007-ST3-ST3-24.png

3. It's the ECU doesn't like the current from welding, however, if the key is out it should be ok?
    As a comparison I had my Lexus hybrid exhaust welded on the car with no ill effects - both auxiliary and drive batteries still connected.
    I'd whip the stand off myself just to be sure though :upyeah:

4. Stand is held on by three bolts, one long one at the back goes all the way through then the two at the front bolt into the engine.
    You can definitely kill an ecu with welding, also a risk of blowing up the battery as it’s earthed to the bike.

I’d remove the stand, it’s a lot easier to weld off the bike and it’ll need paint anyway

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information