1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Certificate Of Origin

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Bison, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Hi Folks,
    If I can obtain a Certificate of Origin for the 2002 748 I'm importing from the USA, I can get a flat rate of import tax, and consequently also pay less VAT. Anyone any ideas on where to start with this?, Ducati North America?, Ducati GB?. Any (polite) suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Alan.

2. Hiya mate.
    I have been through this exercise. The only place I could get one was direct from the factory in Bologna. I tried to do it through Ducati UK, but my bike came from South Africa and they could not help. I eventually contacted the dealer where I bought it in Johannesburg. They contact the factory and arranged the document. I suggest contact Italy with the VIN number.

Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Andy,
    I've just sent off an Email to Ducati asking for help or clarification.
    I'll post any info I get.
    Alan.

4. Certificate of Origin or Certificate of Conformity?

Ducati HQ in Bologna came back to me within 24hrs. Excellent service.

5. Origin, it's more or less to prove the bike was produced in Italy, a fellow EU member, so far!.
    Alan.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Hi Andy,
    I've imported a couple of bikes from the USA and been lucky enough for it to go relatively smoothly (touch wood). Took them quite a while to get my Japanese import Saturno registered though, but it did happen eventually. I'm hoping the 748 import will go smoothly.
    Alan.

7. Folks,
    Here's my reply from Francesca at Ducati

We thank you for contacting us.
    As per your request, we are sorry to inform you that Ducati does not release any certificate of origin. In order to proceed with your bike transfert we invite you to go to one of our official dealers in the U.K. who will surely help you with the question.
    We remain at your disposal.
    Best regards
    Francesca

So it would seem Ducati Glasgow is my next port of call?.
    Alan.

8. @Martin Ducati Glasgow

9. You should have asked for a Certificate of Conformity (CofC) as mentioned above :thinkingface:

10. Hi,
    Thanks for the replies.
    It would seem, according to the importers, that they are two different things, the customs people are looking for proof of the machine being built in the European community, I believe the CofC proves the bike meets european or UK safety and emission standards?, if that is the case, it won't help me persuade the custom and excise people to give me a flat rate of duty.
    Alan.

11. Private import - £50.00 flat rate of import duty accompanied by a letter of origin to prove country of manufacture (from Volkswagen, Porsche, Jaguar, etc) & 20% VAT.

12. I’m afraid we can’t be of any help either. We buy the bikes from DucatiUK and as such don’t deal with all the import/export documentation.
    My business partners and me own the business and are not owned by Ducati at all (common mistake) and neither do we work for them. So as a privately owned separate business, we don’t have any access to that kind of information at all I’m afraid. In fact, I wouldn’t know where to start. It’s quite a laborious nightmare from my understanding.

I’ve sent a PM to Bison to contact DUK and hopefully they can sort him out with the aforementioned CofC but as to a Certificate of origin, I reckon he’ll have to knock on Ducati in Italy’s door again and hopefully get someone who can answer this question.

Sorry I can’t be of any more help.

Mart

13. Mart,
    Very helpful info regardless, it's all useful, even knowing what I can't do!.
    Alan.

14. Yes they are different things, but the Certificate of Conformity has dozens of fields with various kinds of information, including the full name and address of the manufacturer, i.e. Ducati in Bologna, Italy. This may help perhaps.

15. Thanks for that,
    I've Emailed Francesca and asked if she can help with the CofC, better that than nothing at all, and as you say, they may accept it with that information on it, one can but try.
    Thanks everyone, will post any future info.
    Alan.

16. The correct name for a certificate of conformity is a European Certificate of Conformity, (CofC). It is a document issued by the factory to confirm the that bike was built to meet the standards required in any European country. Any bike supplied outside of the EU has no requirement to have one, nor will it necessarily conform to the EU standards.
    The normal route to obtaining one is through the main importers of a bike into that country when new. In the case of a US supplied bike, it will not have one as it is a bike specific thing with a chassis number rather than a model specific thing, and individual bikes will have things fitted to suit that market.

17. I think I'm just going to pay the import duty!. It's a 2002, so to register it here I believe I won't need a CofC, just an MOT, I can fix the dip on the headlight (the info gleaned on the forum, thanks), and the indicator lens colour, reflectors etc.
    Thanks all.
    Alan.

18. Had it been a European supplied bike, I think that you would have problems with a CofC as they only started in 2003 for bikes as far as I know.
    Best of luck with it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information