1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Adjustment Tip

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by jose, Sep 20, 2020.

1. YouTube is a wonderful vehicle for the ignorant self-publicist. How not to use a torque wrench and how not to adjust the chain. The bike should be on a stand located in the rear wheel spindle and a torque wrench should not be used a 'spanner' but only to torque up the bolt - not to undo it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Not sure where you got your info? I have been around bikes since I was 6 years old . You know nothing about me to call me ignorant. This is the way I have alway's done it. Many videos show the exact same process. Not sure what you mean?

You are absolutely wrong about the bike being on a stand to adjust tension.
    You should read up on how suspension load affects chain tension, you may be surprised at what you may learn.
    It’s funny, when I took it to Ducati for service, they had the bike on the ground when adjusting the chain. I guess they don’t know what they are doing either..

As far as the torque wrench, this amount of torque does absolutely no harm to the wrench. At high torques, yes it could damage the wrench. Basically not a big deal. I’ve been around bikes and people that own bikes for years, I think I’ve picked some things up.

#3 jose, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  3. If you use the correct rear stand then the rear suspension is under exactly the correct load and the bike is not learnt over and awkward to work on. As the torque to undo a nut or bolt can be many times greater than the correct torque to tighten, this extra work that you subject the wrench to will make it go out of measurement faster. That is why you should not use a torque wrench to undo nuts or bolts. You should only use a torque wrench to a tighten a nut or bolt to the correct torque. It is not a "general spanner" and the calibration protected by using it for the job where it is needed - not undoing nuts & bolts!

"That's the way that I've always done it since I was 6 years old and now I am a YouTube star" does not make you correct.

I did a "proper" engineering apprenticeship with Rolls-Royce and then was sponsored to do a Mech Eng degree and then qualify as an "Engineering Technologist". Thankfully, this was in the days before YouTube and we were taught by time-served tradesmen not "YouTube Stars". Even now, if you ever fly in an aircraft powered by Rolls-Royce engines, you can be thankful it was built by people who learnt their engineering properly and not from YouTube!

#4 PerryL, Sep 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. You say a lot but make no sense.
    Yes YouTube star if you say so.
    There are many people that enjoy watching all kinds of videos, in fact I do. If I don’t agree with someone, I don’t bash them I just don’t do what they say and that’s it.

I feel like your background has nothing to do with this, then again, I’m really surprised that common sense doesn’t apply here.

If I am doing things so wrong, why haven’t I ever had chain issues on any bike that I’ve owned? Hell, even the Ducati mechanic that worked on my bike is doing his job wrong isn’t he?

I appreciate your comment either way, I enjoy all feedback . Everyone is entitled to their opinion as you are. I’m sure other people will get something out of my video. My intentions are to get to those who never check their chain tension and those who don’t think it matters.
    Again, I appreciate your comment.

#5 jose, Sep 20, 2020
  5. Youtube can be very useful at times and not so in others.
    In the manual it says to measure while on the side stand but nothing about tensioning.Take to the dealer is the advice given.Are they in the real world.
    I bet you wish you hadn't found this site Jose.First the levers now the chain,everyones a critic.

6. Criticising YouTube is not difficult!

Some of the stuff about people's adventures is good but there is no moderation of the "how to" stuff :worried:

7. I am not sorry at all that I found this forum. I enjoy what everyone bring to the table, I don’t bash them if I don’t agree with them.
    That’s ok, everyone is different and I understand that.
    I have no problem at all with criticism, I know that what I have videos on is my belief in what works after many experiences.
    What are you talking about when you say measurements are not there and take it to the dealer? I’m lost at what you are referring too.
    I can explain it to you if I understand what you mean.

#8 jose, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  8. Some people just feel like they need to correct others without knowing what they are talking about. They just feel like they need to hate others opinions.

9. Why does every American start a video with "Wots up guys?" and then does not wait for an answer.
    Love the way that you have reinvented the ruler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Some of us have been around bikes since you were minus 20, don't be so condescending.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I have seen so many different products and so many different ways of doing things on YouTube, some good and some not so good. What I don’t do is bash others because I don’t agree with them. I don’t know these people and certainly don’t know if what they are talking about really worked for them.
    I guess I just feel like everyone is entitled to their options.
    Either way, if you feel like bashing, I certainly don’t have a problem with anybody on this forum.
    This is a great source for information.

12. How is that condescending if I’m just stating the fact of when I started?
    I meant no disrespect to anyone by saying that. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

13. Damn, tuff crowd.. It’s all good, I enjoy your feedback. I’m only human and certainly don’t claim to know everything. I just give my opinions on things that work for me and others I know.

#14 jose, Sep 21, 2020
  14. In the manual it advises you to take it to the dealer for adjustment even though it gives measurements.
    What I am saying is to keep taking it to the dealer for adjustment is not realistic hence a tool should be supplied to do the job.

15. You are absolutely correct. It’s BS for Ducati to have someone take their bikes for this. But then again, there are many riders out there that really have no clue on basic bike maintenance , reasons for my video’s.

This forum is the exception. As I’ve learned, this place has very knowledgeable bike owners, this basic task is kind of a no brainer.

The tool is something that I asked my dealer for when I got the bike. He said they had to order it because they didn’t include it or have it in stock. That’s ridiculous if you ask me.

Thanks for clarifying your statement, I was a bit lost.

#16 jose, Sep 21, 2020
  16. YouTube is similar to church.

You don't have to go in and listen to the claptrap.

17. I could argue with you about that!

You certainly don't have to go, but the "claptrap" thing?

But, I am done arguing after the Fischer thing. So, I won't mention it.... but, I just did!!! Arguing about Christianity is NOT something for a Ducati group, let alone even my chosen method of water heating - and most certainly not adjusting chains!

18. Is it only Christians that go to church then :thinkingface: asking for a friend :D

19. Well, that told 'im!! :joy::joy:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information