1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Chain Adjustments

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Cliffords, Sep 2, 2017.

1. I am 1200 miles in . I have cleaned and re lubed the chain today for second time. With the tool in place I am near perfect in some areas of the chain and about 6 mm out in others from the marks on the tool. Time to adjust or do I wait until more of it is out of spec and by more ?

2. A few mm slack in places is OK. A few mm tight anywhere is not OK.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. You don't say whether you are 6mm too tight or loose, but you take the tightest point in the chain and adjust that point to the correct sag. That's the only measurement point that matters.

4. Not teaching you to suck eggs, but make sure it's not on centre stand when checking. :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thank you everyone now all done it is surprising what a tiny amount of movement on the rear makes a big adjustment on the chain however all sorted now and torqued up and yes bike was on side stand thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  6. And in urban mode?

7. I am a standard ABS so modes dont have an effect for me in this area .

8. As a newbie to the multistrada , why in urban mode and not the others surely its independant on what you have set them at.

9. You are quite right my error.

10. owners manual says check in urban mode, and FWIW i have not had to adjust my chain in the last several thousand miles at least, chain being Afam, lasting much better than DID.

11. Slightly off topic, but after a twelvemonth of waiting for my chain tension gauge I received one, the only thing is it's different to the one I had with my 13 Multi. If anyone has this new type could they please explain to me how to use it, thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If it is the same as the one that came with my bike, you insert it under the swing arm and it slots into a casting on the swing arm. With bike on side stand the chain should be center of the two parallel marks on each edge of the device. Use the rivets to view the position.

13. Any chance of a pic of this new dvt chain tension gauge please ?
    I’ve been waiting 2 years for one lol
    What I’m asking is, since the very first dvt model came out, has anyone actually got one in their toolkit supplied with the actual bike, and if so, is it the same as the older model ones........ ba jesus !
    Brokes post infers it’s different.

#13 Hyperextended, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  14. I just googled it and looked under images and there are plenty of pics

Google DVT Chain Tension guide , and select images

• Like Like x 1
  15. Would urban mode only relate to sky hook version? I was told be dealer to have it a little slacker than recommended by Ducati and the tool supplied, as others have said it changes a lot over sitting on it and bumps and weight carried.

16. Not necessary, a correctly adjusted chain measured on the center stand will show about 1/8 inch below the notch on the gauge. Adjust and check on the center stand and set it thus.

17. Doesn't the manual say adjust on the side stand...

18. Because it is as default the softest setting so needs the slackest chain setting to

19. you can check on centre stand or side stand, but the tension is different, so different places on the tension gauge.

20. Also if the ignition is on but not running, after a minute or so it defaults so loses the mode it was in. I tend to check on the side stand, adjust on centre then recheck on side with the motor running in urban

Do Not Sell My Personal Information