1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Chain Pinch Bolt Torque Setting

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Groundhog, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Can anyone tell me the torque setting for the pinch bolts for the chain adjustment on the 1260. Thanks

2. 35Nm +/-10%

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Thank you:upyeah:

4. Do you actually have 1260 service manual, or simply take the number from 1200 DVT? Just curious...

5. Nelly is an authorised Ducati service engineer...

6. Great, thanks! I didn't know that...
    I'm desperately looking for 1260 service manual. Nelly! Can you help?

7. Sorry. Not really. My manuals are electronic and part of my dealer system.

8. Understood. Maybe you could explain how someone can obtain the Ducati service manual? My local dealer refuses to sell one. I always do all services on my bikes by myself. Never ever did I have such a problem with buying service manuals. And I had all Japanese bikes, few BMW's, KTM, Aprilia...
    Only if I knew that getting a service manual for Multistrada would be so difficult, I'd never buy one...

9. I don’t think there’s one to sell in truth. All access I have is connected with my system with Ducati.

10. So, if I understand you correctly, there is no legal way for Ducati owners to get a service manual? Bravo Ducati! Well done!

11. No, I'm just not able to provide one. I'd suggest contacting Ducati via their contact page. There may well be a way to get one, but as a service workshop, all I have is the information in electronic form, connected with my factory system and it's protected by my log on information.

12. I adjusted my chain the other day and used the 1200 setting - fortunately, the same figure (35 NM) as I recall? In any case, I was:

(a) surprised by how much that figure was c.f. the usual sort of pinch bolt figures on various bikes for front wheels and the like.

(b) also surprised by how tight the chain appeared to be after the adjustment. I used the aluminium guide thingy that is provided in the toolkit - according to instructions and got that spot on. My eyeball adjustment, based on many chain driven bikes would have had it looser.

13. Don't know about the 1260, however the chain tension for my 1000S DS Multi is 38mm-42mm. Measured from a fixed reference point ,which is the underside of the swing arm, to the center of the chain link. Clamp bolt tension is 31Nm.

I am fastidious with trying to get the chain tension correct as I find it seems to make a big difference to gear change smoothness, I have previously neglected to establish a 'tight spot' in the chain and found out after the event that my chain was far too tight which I believe contributed to the knackering of the chain!
    Well worth spending some time checking the chain tension imo, it's not rocket science and you can extend the chain's life and enjoy much smoother gear changes and chain/sprocket longevity with a bit of care.

14. Given how short the allen key provided in the tool kit for undoing the pinch bolts are is a relation to how tight you can do them with it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information