1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Riveter

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by simmytt, Mar 5, 2019.

1. I am after a good quality chain riveter/splitter, looking for recommendations for a fair priced one, prices seem to go from £10 to £100+
    Cheers

2. Sealey Heavy-Duty Motorcycle Chain Splitter & Riveting Tool Set - MS025 £104
    See machine mart for same one in blue case for a little less, both are copies of D.I.D one from Japan.

This is the one my local bike mechanic uses & swears by, the official website on the box is dead. £50

3. #3 JH_1986, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. When linking JH, I recommend not been logged into amazon or the link won't work. Or just use the link button whilst highlighting a word in the message. And you don't show a huge webby address.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Buy cheap and you'll throw it in the bin after one use if your lucky.
    What he says buy a good one. I have a Whale tool

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Whale tool is a copy of the Japanese RK takasago chain rivet tool. Still a very good design & recommend (not trying to fall out with everyone!).

7. Given a looked after decent chain will last 20-30k why not simply get your local grease monkey to do it, on most riders in here, that's one cost every 4 years :D

8. Not sure a Ducati genuine will last that long. 5 years ago a mate went over the pyraneese on a GXSR1100 with a well looked after chain at 22000 miles. All the rollers fell off & nearly spit him off. Just saying. :innocent:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mine was about £30 eBay, Chinese copy, I've done 4 or 5 chains and it's still working fine.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 4 bikes, so a worthwhile investment, 1 being a track bike so that means loading in the van, driving to shop, unloading, waiting for them to do the job, loading back on the van, driving home, unloading again, so yea its worth purchasing a decent one :upyeah:. Liking the look of the Motrax and RK one, Wurth is a little pricey but no doubting the quality , looking at buying a pressurised brake bleeding tool so will try to get both from the same seller to combine postage.

11. Also, you need to break chain to remove swing arm on lots of bikes.

12. I can’t remember the one I used a lot 5-10 years ago, but what I find is the people who break the cheaper ones aren’t using it correctly. I did a shed load of chains with it on my bikes and mates bikes and it never let me down once. I think I paid £30-£50 for it.

#13 Wull, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  13. I got one of those cheap ones in the obligatory red case. The rivet was stronger than the tool so when it came to mushrooming the rivet end, it snapped. Had to finish it off with a peen hammer.

No such problems with my Motrax which has now done a couple of chains

• Like Like x 1
  14. Motion pro do a very good one give it a look

15. Ebay shop Perfomoto (Bike HPS) is selling C&S kits with a free rivetting tool. It works ok. I too have one of the generic plastic case ones which has sucessfully done at least 10 chains. Its now defunct and pin removers have snapped. The rivetter still works ok though. I always dremel off the head of the rivet.

16. Motrax might have been the one i used.

17. Ah, you need one in a BLUE case, not red! Red ones are rubbish, I thought everyone knew!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I just use a grinder or drill the old master link rivets and the tool I use the the AFAM one which works well

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dont tell @Ducbird that :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information