1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Rust Pitting - What To Do?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by ck_uk, Feb 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Not sure what I can do, if anything, about my chain.
    It's not seen that many miles, but the external links have all got some slight rust pitting.

I don't know if this can be made good - or just buy a new chain and be done with it?

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

2. Granted, it's a bit unsightly but I would not replace a chain for that. It doesn't look as though it's likely to compromise the strength of the chain. Give the chain a good clean with paraffin and then lubricate it with a good quality chain lube. XCP make a chain lube that helps protect against corrosion and their rust blocker which has overtaken ACF-50 in corrosion prevention for many folk is excellent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Paraffin and a brass wire brush works wonders. Then keep it well oiled. Job Jobbed.

Top Tip: Don't let wifey know you've stolen her suede shoe brush. Deny everything.

#3 bootsam, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. mine looks like that after 1,500 miles and 6 months from new.....

5. Demo bikes at Moto Rapido look far worse

6. Wire brush and WD40 that will clean it right up....hard graft and dirty work though but it is worth it....ironically ill be going out to do just that later...

7. My understanding is that WD40 should be avoided on chains as it damages link seals.
    Paraffin as suggested by bootsam is the way to go imho

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Get a Guzzzi.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Meh....always used it (just for the cleaning)....ive still got the OEM chain on my rsv4 factory (2010 Model) and its in good nick....

10. I used the Dremel on mine with a wire brush. Same issues though. Chain has only done 2000mls.

11. Don't know what Ducati have there chains made from but they seem to need significantly more maintenance than those used by Japanese manufacturers

12. Ive only this minute finished fitting new gold DID c&s (7,200mls). Doing this helps but is a bit extreme. Front sprocket looked worn but not excessively. Prob about 1-2k left. Ducati morons use a cheese head allen bolt on qs at gearbox cam, which rounds off easily. My mate Mr Molegrip sorted it. Italian shit. :)

13. Paraffin & wire brush + abbaskylift.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Long standing hoax. WD-40 does not damage o-rings, it's just not a proper lubricant. Check the whole video for some useful info.

15. Paraffin has served me well all my motorcycling career which this year is 53 years used it on all types of chains on all types of machines

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Well alright then.

IMG_7434.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. I just bought the same Brush today from B&Q - had the paraffin already :)

18. And here's an little old paraffin lamp which belonged to my folks, which I'm hoping to get going again. Might need a new wick.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Surface rust shouldn't have any impact on the strength, but yes paraffin and that brush should clean it.
    Be aware, not all the chain lubes have rust inhibitors in them.
    Also makes me wonder what is that chain made of....my KTM EXC enduro chain is still rust free after 56hours/ 1100miles in mud.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information