1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Splitter / Rivetter

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by willyduke, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Need a decent splitter. Not for everyday/professional use so without going bonkers on price, any recommendations?

I was going to get the Sealey one but mega mixed reviews..

s-l1600-1.jpg

2. Be careful what you go for as different chains need different riveters, A Renthal chain need a Quad Stake riveter which are a lot dearer, I have used the one you show for my other bikes successfully.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. I have used one that looks like the Sealy one. After two chains the jaws of the G clamp deformed.

4. Mixed reviews are pretty normal for chain tools , as far as I've ever seen .
    Whale brand were always highly recommended ..... I borrowed one once
    and it did the job OK , but I ended up buying a different one .

A lot seems to depend on what the finished rivet heads look like ....
    .... is it called " peening " ... ? ?

Edit - check what Birdie says about " quad stake " above ^^

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/whale-chain-tool-question.143351/

and you can see the quad stake in this video , at about 2 min 20 s
    -

#4 oldtech, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  5. I broke mine but got a refund

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Depends on what you consider bonkers. In my experience, if you buy a cheap or a cloned one, after a couple of uses you could find yourself looking to buy again. I use a DID KM500R because I prefer their chains. Despite the quality I managed to break the pin part of the tool but there are spares available so my riveter lives on. Had mine for years so didn’t pay this price, https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/km500r-did-chain-cutter-riveter-571522 but you occasionally find them for about £90. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. +1 for the above.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 8E5E3EA2-B29F-468B-956A-0C22DC9439F2.jpeg 9377483F-6EDB-4AF1-ADA6-E402210D18B1.jpeg Ironically I have just done the chain and sprockets on my multi, I asked the same question about a year ago and ended up with this one, used it 3 times now two 520 and a big 530 and no complaints, decent price also

7597EAEA-3AAA-4409-9B29-DD12626B1D48.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Curiosity got the better of me , so I dug out the one I bought 10 years ago .
    Essentially a hand-held anvil .... mighty heavy , mighty tough , and never failed me .

Can't remember how much , but much less than the Whale at the time ...
    ..... 70 Euro ? .... I'm guessing .

The silver coloured doo-dad at the bottom has a beveled tip to do the
    " quad staking " of the rivets .

-
    Chain tool.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. The one I have linked is the orginal version, Motrax is the copy & costs £45. British maker I linked costs £30 odd although I use that version with a large bar on the handle. As I cannot gain enough grip around the fairly small handle.

11. I bought one of the hein gericke tools years ago, it was basically a rebranded RK Chain UCT4060.

12. x
    Seen this, looks alright. Did you grind off the heads first or not bother?

13. Definitely grind the heads off ....
    .... unless you want to chuck away the tool with the used chain ... :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I was not reusing the chain so just cut the old chain off, as stated above just grind the head off and use the tool to press the rivet out.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information