1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R Chain Tensioning - Pinch Bolt Tool

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Richard Oldfield, Oct 22, 2019.

1. The Monster 1200R I got at the weekend needs its chain tightening. The hub is held with a pinch bolt that is similar but not a 'torques' type.
    Should the bike have come with the tool to fit the pinch bolt?
    Where can I get one? (Ducati dealer (expensive??) I expect but anywhere else (cheaper))

2. You would have thought this is a standard tool in the red tool bag:thinkingface:but any tool factors/Halfords/ebay etc or a friendly local Forum member near you might just help you out this one time.

#2 XH558, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  3. Ah, good - I didn't think it was a torx but probably cos I haven't seen one that big.
    What tightening torque do you use? (My Speed Triple is 55nm)

4. 40Nm I believe, someone will soon be along to correct me if I’m wrong.

5. Ducati's logic is somewhat inconsistent. The Multistrada tool kit does include a C-Spanner and a male bit but it's a Hex not a Torx.
    Go figure?
    The Monster's tool kit is so lame, the best item is the pouch.

6. I really must open the tool bag on mine, just for a laugh you understand, I fully expect to find the usual Xmas cracker quality items!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. LoooooL

8. On the multi its a 10 mm Allen screw. The key for it is in the tool kit. If you want to be technically accurate and torque it up with a torque wrench you will need to buy a 1/2 " square drive Allen key to fit onto your torque wrench.

TB

9. I had to purchase both a Torx bit socket set (Monster) and an Allen bit socket set (Multistrada) to use with my torque wrench.
    Why isn't Ducati consistent with either Torx or Allen was my point?
    My tool chest has doubled since owning Ducati's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. i've apparently a tool kit bag rattling around in the PS boot but can't access it because the panel is lock/jammed in place.LoL: unamused:

11. I apologize for my ignorance but what's a "PS boot"?

12. When you open the tool kit ,after you have finished laughing ,it would pay to add a set of allen keys of the sizes needed for your Monster .I did not open mine until my mirror came loose and i pulled over to tighten it and found out there was nothing to do it in the tool kit .

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yes I keep meaning to put a small kit together, + tie wraps & a small roll of electrical tape etc, all the “get you out of a hole” stuff, really must do so this weekend, cheers.

14. Ive done what @VINNIE suggested on all my Ducatis.
    IMO, the Monster's tool kit would be better served with the Multistrada's roadside assistance pouch containing tire plugs and co2 cartridges.
    What am I going to do with a spark plug socket when I have to rip half the bike apart to reach the plugs?

15. Whilst we’re on the subject I’ve got one of these under the seat on all of my bikes, really handy when you’re out for a ride and see something you want to buy but it’s too unwieldy to go under your jacket C0CCE2E6-43BE-4678-A18B-BE467285BD59.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. The Monster 1200 (and the Supersport 939) have a single M14 T60 torx screw clamping the eccentric hub, tightened to 40Nm.
    Whereas MTS1200 has 2x M12 Allen screws (10mm hex IIRC) torqued to 35Nm.

17. Yes definitely T60

18. It’s what @XH558 sticks his arse against while terrorising the OAPs on the Sussex coast.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. :):upyeah:
    DSCN5858[1].JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information