1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Boukekoppejan, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I have got a simple question; I have cleaned the chain and greased it with motul. Is it possible to clean the residu on the chain to let it looks like new? Thanks

B4C1A65A-B9B3-4F6B-8B8B-6520E1080C4D.jpeg
    845D45AD-EF95-4F6E-B108-059D39A9FCD9.jpeg

2. Some chain lubes dry and you can’t see them, but to be honest I find after a couple of hundred KMS it is getting a little dirty looking. You can put some WD40 onto a cloth and gently wipe the side plates, do not get WD40 into the O rings as it will damage them. WD40 will make it look shiny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I use Motul chain cleaner and lube. If you clean it throughly enough with the chain cleaner first you can get it that clean. A small tooth brush on the outer edge of the chain helps and plenty of cloths to rub it clean. It wont stay that way though.

4. Motul chain cleaner, very good... don't find their chain lube as good as Wurth

#4 jamesgarnor, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. However clean you get your chain, it will always be let down by that peeling chain tension sticker on the swing-arm! :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I have cleaned it with wd40 and works perfect but indeed I won’t last long haha

7. remove the sticker you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I hate to see that white grease lathered all over too. I use a Motorex clear chain lube on my chains, but only very sparingly.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I don’t have a life so sit there like a trappist monk in contemplative solitude diligently cleaning each individual plate with a cotton bud and thrice blessed brake cleaner, offering up a votive prayer on each one.

yae.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have tried quite a few chain lubricants, As others have mentioned WD40 on the sides of the chain on a cloth will ease cleaning. Conventional chain cleaner through the chain to blast any dirt. The lubricant of choice which i found best which was actually given to me by the previous owner when i bought the bike is called SDOC S100 dry chain lubricant.

I have found this one to be the best, Little to no fling, Appears very dry and goes on easily. Very similar to Wurth dry chain lubricant but i definitely find this one even better. Worth giving it a go.

https://www.getgeared.co.uk/sdoc-s100-motorcycle-dry-chain-lube-spray-400ml

11. I used to use Motul but for the same reason stopped using it. I have been using this
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-T...y73MKJWb1l3qGoqvR2RKZmwxUPr5ATwhoCQksQAvD_BwE

This is a video on how I get it really clean. The Dupont goes on clear, no residue and most importantly no fling. This picture is after cleaning and oiling with the Dupont chain oil. Notice how clear it goes on. I wish I would have found this when I was younger. I have used so many chain lubes and very expensive ones. Dupont is overall the best I have used yet.

IMG_5482.JPG

#12 jose, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Might give this a try.
    Have used paraffin then gearbox oil for many many years but your chain looks so clean I can't resist trying it.
    Will find out how much first though.

#13 MarketSquareHero, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  13. Forget what I've just said.
    Can't get it over here I don't think.

14. Walmart, amazon and many other places have these. DuPont chain Lube and Kerosene.

#15 jose, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  15. Roll on January 2021 when you'll be able to buy the new Regina chain, which doesn't need lubing :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. As has been said by MarketSquareHero ...paraffin to clean, gear oil to lube. FortNine always worth a watch on Youtube,

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Postage is twice as much as the lube.
    I'll stick with my tried and trusted method.

18. As far as cleaning my chains, I’d like to share my fetish products:

- Essence F (distilled gasoline?) to clean the chain. Won’t attack the chain o’rings like classic WD-40 would;

- a specific helicoidal brush called Tirox 360 which I was introduced to a couple years ago. A little wonder;
    https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/tirox-360-chain-brush/

- Profi Dry Lube for lubrication. It is Teflon based, clear, won’t splatter everywhere (wheel, sprocket, frame, etc.), but does need to be applied more often than your regular chain lube. For high mile tourers, they sell smaller « trip » cans.
    https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/profi-dry-lube-400ml-532568

The results I get with these are phenomenal, both visually but also in terms of longevity for my chains and sprockets. Disclaimer: I very rarely ride on wet roads.
    G

A486A43A-B13E-4760-AD9B-E476E3A8E108.jpeg

B198D152-27E6-43ED-812C-7A3A823F0841.jpeg

19. Useful. That helical brush looks identical to a short version of a climbing-rope cleaning brush.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information